Enfield musket sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield musket sling

I'm looking for a way to install an English buckle sling. How is the buckle fastened to the sling?

J.M. Perry

Jppard
    J. Michael Perry

Re: Enfield musket sling

It is attached in the same place as the wire hook on a Federal sling as it serves the same function. First, attached the sling like you would a Federal hook type sling with the fixed keeper on the bottom swivel and pull it through. Next run the buckle through the through the end of the sling so the tongue of the buckle is pointing down at the bottom swivel, then add the sliding loop if one is provided. Run the end of the sling through the top barrel band and the sliding keeper. Then attach the buckle to the end of the sling and run the sliding keeper over the end to hold everything together.

There is a diagram on how to do this that appeared in The Watchdog, and also in the appendix of The Civil War Musket, if you can get a hold of a copy of either of those it would be easier to understand than my explanation here.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I've checked the Forum and other sources for conclusive discussion of whether Federal troops were ever issued British accoutrements, particularly the black leather sling with buckle, with their Enfields. Any discussion on this point? Are any particular units known to have received Enfields with british slings and other accouterments? Timeframe?
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

There was an order by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for 10,000 sets of English accoutrements that arrived
        in May 1861. In addition they received an order of P53s from LACo. Included were British buckle slings and these
        can be seen clearly in images with "D" shaped buckles. Massachusetts later received Federal accoutrement sets and
        sold several thousand of their leftover British kits to SNY for their state troops. I have a copy of this particular image
        in with my old "Civil War Musket" book files, but the image in question belongs to a well known collector who is prickly about
        sharing it. You may be able to find the image elsewhere.
        Craig L Barry

Comment

Thanks Craig. Do you know if any of the thousands of Enfield P53s that the Fed's contracted for in 1862-63 were also so supplied when issued?
          Ian Macoy
          Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Unfortunately, when slings were specified in a contract the exact type of sling was not described.
            The Union canceled their P53 contracts in mid-1863. It would be very unusual if English slings were purchased
            for an upcharge once Federal contractors were able to supply Ordnance with domestically made accoutrements.

The Enfield rifle sling is about the same length as the US rifle-musket sling, and the US sling fits
            a P53 fine once a couple holes are relocated.
            Craig L Barry

Comment

When I think of Federals with British accoutrements, the photographs of Sherman's Army on Lookout Mountain come to mind. You can see snake buckles, and what appear to be Enfield cartridge boxes and cap pouches. I'm sure other members have seen these photographs; I am assuming these were captured trying to run the blockade, and issued to Federal Troops, as were muskets and swords, etc. Any other folks with opinions about those photographs? Perhaps someone knows the regiment(s) photographed?

-Thom Parham

Comment

Originally posted by Ian M. View Post
                I've checked the Forum and other sources for conclusive discussion of whether Federal troops were ever issued British accoutrements, particularly the black leather sling with buckle, with their Enfields. Any discussion on this point? Are any particular units known to have received Enfields with british slings and other accouterments? Timeframe?
                The 44th Mass which was stationed here in New Bern, starting sometime in the fall of 1862, carried Enfield muskets with British slings, and all British leather gear. Not captured from blockade runners, but purchased but state purchasing agents sent abroad to buy just for the state of Mass.-
                David Stone

Comment

They were not "unknown" in the Union army, of course, but relatively rare in comparison to the US model sling. I solve the
                  problem by not using any sling on my Enfield. No sling is correct as well.
                  Craig L Barry

Comment

I recommend that you take a look at two P53 Enfields that I posted on the British Militaria Forum, one with the original military sling still attached. I have a number of these buckles recovered from AOT CS camps.

Gents: I present a Pattern 1853 Rifle Musket, 2nd Model (dated 1858), in my collection that has the engraved markings on the butt heel that are shown

Gents: This is my first post with this community and value your opinions. I live in the United States and collect military weapons. Yesterday, I purch

Cheers,
                    Dave Stieghan
                    US Army Infantry Branch Historian
                    David Stieghan
                    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
                    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
                    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

Working...
                    X