72nd Illinois Infantry Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72nd Illinois Infantry Badge?

Researching this unit with with special attention to their involvement in 1864; specifically at Franklin, TN. (30NOV64) Have seen two textual references to a badge worn by this first regiment of the Chicago Board of Trade. One mentions, "the proprietary star within circle badge worn by members of the 72nd". As of this writing I'm unable to find an image/sketch/pic of this item. Anyone have a source? Also, was this emblem indicative of all companies in the 72nd? Did it see war time wear/use? Officially or otherwise...when was it adopted?

(Anticipating you...Scott Cross...to have beaucoup insight into this one!)
    Last edited by Remember1864; 03-25-2010, 09:25 AM. Reason: syntax error
    John Marler
    Franklin, TN

Re: 72nd Illinois Infantry Badge?

Mars,
    Don't have any real clues about that one. Can't find a corps badge that fits. Possibly some type of ID badge that was the rage? Your sources, were they wartime?
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Strap Boy,

First read about the "badge" in a Cowan's Auction flyer. Two lots for sale; both were a mix of identified and anonymous officers and NCOs from the 72nd. Both descriptions mentioned the badge. One, described it. I'm surprised this has stumped the CW academic community on the AC!
      John Marler
      Franklin, TN

Comment

Man, Pillers is what you consider the academic community of the AC? Sheesh!
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
          Man, Pillers is what you consider the academic community of the AC? Sheesh!
          I have not heard of a badge for the 72nd either. Pillers is just mad because know one knows the answer.

CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

John,

Did you try the North South Trader Civil War magazine, drop them a line and inquire if anyones ever dug one. Its a longshot but give it a try.

And you need to refer to J.P. as Professer Pillers when it comes to all things Illi-noise.

Ken
            TSM
            Ken Irvin

Comment

Very odd, and NO, my museum does not have any examples of this badge (hey, we're in Wisconsin!). The 72nd was in the 17th Corps until November when they were transferred to the 23rd Corps, neither of which had a badge like the one described. I would agree with "Professer Pillers", it sounds like an ID badge that was privately purchased, possibly even sold by the regimental sutler, but that's a guess.

Is there a regimental history of the 72nd or any first hand accounts from members?
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Yes there is a regimental history it was written by Company A -- Capt. Stockton who was later promoted to General at the end of the war. He started the Chicago Historical Society. He was wounded and was treated about 500 yards north of Carter House by regimental surgeon Charles Ambler Bucher (1st Asst Surgeon) from Batavia, Illinois. Surgeon Bucher was the last medical officer to leave Franklin, TN after the battle when the union troops retreated to Nashville. He later was elected Mayor of Batavia and held county offices. Stockton & Bucher again crossed paths after the great chicago fire. I used to portray Dr. Bucher & have 5 binders worth of data on him.
                [U]Dr Trevor Steinbach[/U]
                17th Corps Field Hospital - Surgeon
                Medical Director - First Federal Division
                Board of Directors - Society of Civil War Surgeons
                Armisted-Bingham Lodge 1862 - PWM Wisconsin

Comment

The Cowan's Auction items were from the collection of the late Dick Tibbals of Berwyn, Illinois.
                  They MAY have been written up in the Journal of the Company of Military Historians by Dick.
                  They were privately made and purchased ID badges, not Corps badges as such.
                  S.Sullivan
                  (who saw them once in Dick's green room)

Comment

A cousin in Illinois says a friend of his used to collect 72nd Illinois items; CDVs, a presentation sword, et cetera. The guy says, (via my cousin), that he is familiar with the badge and has owned period soldier images showing said badge. 99% of the fellars wearing them are officers. A recent search online showed the book cover of: "Historical Sketch of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery, Horse Artillery, Illinois Volunteers" / Compiled 1902. The decorative badge on the cover is indeed a star within a circle with a unit member's name inscribed on a separate "hanger" above the star. Granted, this is not an infantry item but perhaps all members of the CBoT wore the same or similar badges. Not a corps badge and certainly private purchase. And the quest continues...
                    John Marler
                    Franklin, TN

Comment

Take a photo copy of that badge that appears on the cover of said book to a local jeweler and perhaps (as the originals may have done) it could be made up for you, especially in small town America (Franklin??).
                      Say hey to Matt, and invite him down, he needs a road trip badly.
                      S.Sullivan

Comment

Finally, some good information among all the wisecrackers... ;-)

Tom's right! I don't like not knowing.
                        Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM. Reason: additional
                        John Pillers
                        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

John and John, Is the 72nd collector anyone in our old area? If so there is a strong possibility if he's willing I could get by and take photos or sketch it for you... Let me know... Have you contacted Meyer or Schuler? They both have some obscure Illinois research... On a (Illinois) related note Jones at the JAL Museum has a killer IDed 81st image on loan now. I know the owner, but didn't know he had it, so I'm going to try to get a copy when it comes off display. If I'm sucessful I'll post it... ZZ
                          [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                          [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                          X