Dyed Federal Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyed Federal Uniforms

I searched for this but could not find it.

I was at the Alabama Archives and took lots of photos. First thing is A Federal overcoat
    "Union overcoat worn by Pvt. W.E. Englehart of Co. K 2nd AL Cav. Dyed brown as per N.B. Forrest order
    of Dec. 1864, "All men and officers of this command who have blue yankee overcoats and clothing and who do not have them dyed by the 20th THE COATS ESPECIALLY will have them taken from them."

I talked a long time with the person in charge of the exhibits (Bob Bradely) and he is very knowledgable on dyes and uniforms, but still does not know how in the field this was done.

Gregg Jennings
    Gregg Jennings

Re: Dyed Federal Uniforms

Try this link

Brian Baird
    Last edited by Brian Baird; 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks,
      I had the pictures to add to that and I knew it was some where.

Now only to find out how to upload photos.
      Gregg Jennings

Comment

Brian,
        Any reason that the link you posted might be broken?
        Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
        Wolftever Mess
        SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Here's a collection of dye receipts from various southern newspapers during the period, from Vicki Betts' fabulous work.

While the exact procedure is not known for the coat in the Alabama collection, a practiced eye will make a good guess at walnut--a generous dye source, helped by a mordant, but not requiring one, and useable as a cold dye as well as a hot dye, and doable in a generous iron kettle or wooden vat.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Baird View Post
            Originally posted by briangauthier View Post
            Brian,
            Any reason that the link you posted might be broken?
            There is an extra "http://" in the middle of his link that needs to be deleted. More than likely when he created the link, he added the link to the default characters, instead typing over or deleting the default characters.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I think it's fixed now.
              Brian Baird

Comment

Ah, sorry about that-I see my mistake now. I have been away from the internet since posting. Anyway, here are the 2 photos I took.

Gregg Jennings

Comment

Working...
                X