Correct cap box for Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct cap box for Enfield

I have been told that the Enfield cap box secured to the cartridge box strap and not to the belt. Are there any known photos that support this? I have never seen an original like this, only cap boxes that attach on the belt. Any ideas?

Ric Wages
    CSS Shenandoah Marines

Re: Correct cap box for Enfield

Of the two basic types issued by the British military, I've seen photos of both on American Civil War infantrymen. Very, very few pictures of Americans wearing the sort angled to fit the cartridge box strap. I's swan neither sort was all that common over here.
    David Fox

Comment

I also have never seen an American Civil War soldier image with the angled cap box on strap. The 44th MA wore English boxes and belts, but in the images I have seen of them they had American style cap boxes, but that unit may evidence the British as well, and might be worth looking up to see specifically the cap box placement.
      The only time I have seen the British slant box was during N-SSA skirmishes, users claimed the box in that position took a few seconds off the time.
      S.Sullivan

Comment

A couple places to look for starters: Page 42 in “Cadet Grey & Butternut Brown” where you see a picture of Pvt. William Howard 35th GA, Co. K and page 30 of “Firepower From Abroad” is a shot of an unidentified Confederate soldier. Both of these men are wearing the sling mounted pouch. I also believe there is another picture in an older thread on the Ball Bags showing the sling mounted pouch as well.
        Hope this helps,
        [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
        Dirigo Grays
        CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
        Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

An image that showed up in an initial AC search: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...+cap+box+strap

& an original example of British cap box/pockets/ready round bags/ball bags and corresponding discussion can be found here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...+cap+box+strap

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...itish+ball+bag

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...itish+ball+bag

This should get you some answers.
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much for the leads.

Ric Wages, Shenandoah Marine Guards

Comment

Folks,

We are doing some research on this "so-called" 1845 British angled cap box....

Question: Beyond the threads posted and reference to Confederate photographs noted above....can anyone refer, post or generally have access to any actual photographs of this item being used in the field by British soldiers? We have been all through the Crimean photos (none there). Any other known photos out there? Anyone? Would particularly like to have some information on the photos such as approx. dates. Thank you!

Ken R Knopp

Comment

In response to Ken's post, the Crimea may not be the place to look. The placing of the cap pouch on the box belt is for the 1856 pattern. The Crimea used leather lined pockets in the tunic or seperate waistbelt cap pouches in the main, though there is a clear photograph in "Crimean Memories" page 66 showing a private's uniform and accoutrements with a pouch belt mounted cap pouch.

Erik Simundson
                Erik Simundson

Comment

Ken,

"Arms and equipment of the British Army, 1866".

The pouch is pictured on plate 15, and is listed as issued equipment under general accoutrements, in "Equipments of Infantry" section published in 1865.
                  Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Working...
                  X