Equipment Issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Issued

I'm on a research mission and maybe I'm heading for disappointment.

Is it possible to find out what kind of equipment was issued to a regiment?

I'm looking for information on uniform style, knapsacks, haversacks and the like for a particular regiment.

Long story short, I belong to an light artillery regiment and for years they've carried on what I believe to be a false story, perpetuated by the person who originally started the current orginazation, that our particular regiment wasn't issued things like knapsacks or haversacks and if they were they didn't carry them but put them in the battery wagons. And since all their equipment was on the Battery wagons they also had access to A frame tents which they used for shelter.

My argument is that while on campaign if their knapsacks and haversacks were on the wagon train they ran the risk of not seeing their stuff for day's on end. How would they have gotten to their rations and personal items if they were on the battery wagons?

My thinking is that since they were a light artillery regiment and they were considered foot soldiers like the infantry then they would have at the very least put their knapsacks and haversacks on the limbers and cassions, if they didn't have them on their backs, so their rations and personal effects would have been with them all the time.

I've read Hardtack and Coffee by John Billings who was part of a light artillery regiment during the war and he mentions knapsacks and haversacks in the book. But I don't remember him mentioning how they transported them, on their backs or on wagons. So I know artillery was issued at the least knapsacks and haversacks. I also know from this source that the light artillery was more than likely issued shelter halves.

So I guess my question is how do I find out what personal equipment a particular regiment was issued - if I even can?

and

How would I find information to support my theory of how a typical light artillery regiment would have transported this equipment?

Thanks ahead of time.

Jay

Re: Equipment Issued

Find the company books of your particular regiment? Maybe the regimental history, if available, is of help too.
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

What Benedict said -- if you ever get the opportunity, the letter and order book for your outfit should be in the Archives in DC. Plus, you should be able to find an original journal or letters somewhere. If you name the unit, someone here may already have a source. Here, for example, is an 1865 history of an Ohio artillery battery; open it up and search on "haversacks" and "knapsacks" -- you'll find they had both: http://books.google.com/books?id=yTN...rsacks&f=false

Another approach is to ask how on earth all those quartermaster stores are supposed to fit in the battery wagon. Take a look at this reference, starting on page 437, and ask your comrades where there's room for tents among the oil cans, carriage maker's tools, saddler's tools and stores, tar buckets, axes, and spare parts: http://books.google.com/books?id=ZaE...manual&f=false
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hallo!

"Is it possible to find out what kind of equipment was issued to a regiment?"

Sometimes. Possibly yes.
        Likely? Not so much, unless really lucky.

IMHO...

First, the records of issuances and requisitions may have survived in the National Archives AND/OR state capital records. For example, the Ohio Historical Society's "library" in Columbus.

Second, the material culture "detailed minutaie" that we require for reenacting and living history is rarely (to the point of the universal "never") recorded. Meaning,
        a lined fatigue blouse is a lined fatique blouse; a .58 cartridge box is a .58 cartridge box; etc., etc., Issuances and requisitions, deductions in pay roll ledgers, etc., "never" say "J.T. Martin fatigue blouse" or "Baker contract P1857 .58 cartridge box."

And last, sometimes tidbits and scraps of what was done can be gleaned from surviving letters, diaries, and regimental histories where individual men are commenting on what is going on. Meaning, one may find that say knapsacks were issued, but official correspondence may not mention whether for such-and-such time and place, such and such man or unit stored them or carried them.
        For example, the "Prussian" knapsacks of Berdan's Sharpsshooters where one company "dropped them" at Mechanicsville in 1862 and the Confederates drove them off the field ansd they were unable to recover them. And that was the last that company ever saw of the fur covered knapsacks.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.

Michael I wil check out that book and see what it says.

Another question: I am not familiar with the letter and order book nor am I familiar with the company books. Can you gents give me a background on them and where I may get hold of one?
          I heard the archives in DC in one post. How would I get info from one of these books from the archives?

The particular battery I'm interested in is the 1st NY Light Artillery Battery L. Aka Reynolds Battery. They were formed in Rochester, NY
          I would also be interested in obtaining the information within the company books and other resources given here for the 78th NYVI.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

You can call the National Archives and ask if they have any of the company books for Battery L, 1st NYLA. Back in 1985, I was able to view the order book of 1st Ky Art (USV). The order book, contain copies of orders issued to the battery.
            Another way to research this is thru the OR's. Many orders for artillery batteries are found there.
            A good first step to give you some idea would be to pick up a copy of DIARY OF BATTLE, THE PERSONAL JOURNALS OF COLONEL CHARLES S. WAINWRIGHT. Wainwright was a major in the 1st NY Art. Reg. He talks thru out the book about the reductions in wagons for batteries, officers, etc. In his book he mentions many times about no personal equipment was to be placed on the limbers.
            Brian Baird

Comment

I would also suggest a search of the OR's (http://dlxs2.library.cornell.edu/m/moawar/waro.html) as the amount and type of trains (wagons) allowed to accompany a unit changed based on the tactical situation. An example of this is an extract of a march order issued by the AOP 5/2/64:

-Para 10 Infantry troops will take with them 50 rounds of ammunition upon the person, 3 full days ratins in the haversack, 3 days bread & small rations in the knapsack & 3 days beef on the hoof. Each corps will take with it 1/2 of the entrenching tools, 1 hospital wagon, 1 med wagon for each bde, 1/2 of the ambulance train & light spring wagons & pack animals allowed at the various HQ. No other trains or means of transportation than those just specified will accompany the different corps except such wagons as may be necessary for the forage for immediate use for 5 days. The artillery will have with them the ammunition of the caissons only. Source: pp 421-23,The Virginia Campaigns of 1864 & 1865, A.A. Humphreys, 1883. On line at http://books.google.com/books?id=3Mz...page&q&f=false
              [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

I love the O.R. but I always have trouble with doing a search it takes me a few tries to get it so I get a hit. :-)

Thanks folks you all gave me some great suggestions!

Comment

Take a look, too, at Edward Longacre's book, The Man Behind the Guns. It's a biography of Henry J. Hunt. Not only will it give you context, it'll also give you an idea of some of the General Orders he issued; like prohibiting cannonneers from putting knapsacks, etc. on the carriages and limbers. The horses already had enough to haul. The book's been out of print for awhile, but either Amazon or Abebooks (or Interlibrary Loan) should be able to get a copy for you.
                  James Brenner

Comment

Working...
                  X