Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schuilkill Arsenal Fatigue Jackets in 1861 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schuilkill Arsenal Fatigue Jackets in 1861 ?

Hallo Kameraden,
    the Fatigue Jacket or Shell Jacket, when did the SA start to furnish Units with this Item, or are Production- Statistiks known from this Item ?
    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Re: Schuilkill Arsenal Fatigue Jackets in 1861 ?

The Fatigue Jacket, (Sack Coat) was initially adopted for mounted use in 1857. It wasn't until the following year that they were adopted for general fatigue use with General Orders No. 3, dtd 4 March, 1858. The coat was described in the revised regulations in 1861 as follows:

For Fatigue Purposes - a sack coat of dark blue flannel extending halfway down the thigh and made loose without sleeve or body lining, falling collar, inside pocket on the left side, four coat buttons down the front. For recruits - the sack coat will be made with sleeve and body lining, the latter of flannel.

Prior to the war, the sole manufacturer of fatigue blouses was the Army Bureau of Clothing and Equipage, aka the Schyukill Arsenal.

The sack coat saw its first recorded large scale active service in the campaign against the Mormans in the Utah Territory from 1857-1861.

See "For Fatigue Purposes..." The Army Sack Coat of 1857-1872, by Patrick Brown
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thank you Brian,
      but Charles means the shell jacket not the sack coat. The plain shell jacket was first issued as fatiguie /stable garment in the eraly 50s as far as I recall.
      Charles and another comrade are searching infos about the issue of these jackets as they want to reproduce the SA shell jacket. Originals cannot be examined on this side of the pond so again we solely have rely on the help of our comrades on the other side of it;-).
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

He asked about the Fatigue Jacket or Shell Jacket. I responded with information about the Fatigue Jacket, or more commonly known as the Fatigue Blouse. Knowing that the Fatigue and Shell Jackets are two different styles of jackets, I provided the info on the one which I was familiar with.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Okay, here is the corrected Version "the Fatigue Jacket or so called Shell Jacket" A coat is a coat, and a jacket is a jacket, otherwise I have asked for a Fatigue Coat or called Sackcoat or Fatigue blouse. I know this terms are often mixed by the people.
          Just my two cents

German Mess

Comment

Sorry, I've never seen, read or heard of the Shell Jacket referred to as a Fatigue Jacket

I have however known the Shell Jacket by these other names: Roundabout and State Jacket.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

I had the same thoughts as Brian. I've not heard of a "fatigue jacket." Got a period reference for this particular garment being used by that particular name?
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I thought, that this term was not uncomon, I read about in this Book: Frederick B. Todd, "American Military Equipage 1851-1872"
                I Quote : The fatigue jacket of 1851 carried a standing, hooked-up collar about 3 inches high. By 1861 the collar was reduced to barely 1.5 inches and was open in the front.
                If i was wrong, please correct me.

German Mess

Comment

this is a very intresting article,

perhaps this could be of help Christof
                  Martyn Goddard
                  American Eagle Society
                  Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

So I guess we are talking about the "Infantry Jacket"?
                    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
                      He asked about the Fatigue Jacket or Shell Jacket. I responded with information about the Fatigue Jacket, or more commonly known as the Fatigue Blouse. Knowing that the Fatigue and Shell Jackets are two different styles of jackets, I provided the info on the one which I was familiar with.
                      I am sorry Brian if my words sounded harsh to you this was not my intention. Please accept my appologies. Of course you were right I just wanted to bring the thread on the correct track as Charles has simply written it in a misleading way( "fatigue" "or").
                      Shell jacket, state jacket, roundabout jacket that is what he is searching for.
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

No foul....no harm done.
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Bro. Hicks,
                          The SA INFANTRY jacket and the state jacket are two totally different beasts for a totally different discussion I suppose. I just wanted to interject with that clarification. Never seen a fatigue jacket referenced, but have heard it called an Infantry jacket or shell before.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Yes it is the infantry jacket we are talking abouzt Pat. The simple plain shell jacket not the NY state jacket for example.
                            Jan H.Berger
                            Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Is there only the Lazy Jacks article on this subject (Infantry Jacket)?
                              Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                              Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Working...
                              X