"Through" pockets on Federal greatcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Through" pockets on Federal greatcoats

While I have seen more than a few civilian overcoats of the period with this feature, I have only read of in passing 2 or 3 references to anything close to a "field modification " of issue clothing in this manner.
    Nothing much showed up in a search here , or in other queries, and I'm not trying ( well, maybe slightly,) to justify such.
    Any ideas or references?
    Kindest Regards,
    Kevin Ellis,
    26thNC

Re: "Through" pockets on Federal greatcoats

Kevin,

Don't know if this will help, but I started a thread about altered Fed overcoats

The thread is filled with photos of orginals, mostly from the LOC.
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Re: "Through" pockets on Federal greatcoats

If I'm not mistaken, Stony Brook Trouser's run of Fed great coats original coat model has a field mod of "pass through" pockets on it. Chris digitally modified his pic to get get an a of what his coat will look like.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X