Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quilted jacket lining?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any reference photos to share of the quilting patterns inside officers' privately bought jackets? Also, I've read that colored thread was used at times in certain garments--does anyone have pictorial evidence of that?

Many thanks.

Best,
    JJ

JJ: When you created your account, you agreed to abide by forum rules. Please remember to sign your name to each post. If you have questions about how to set up the auto-signature on your account, please feel free to contact me. John Wickett - Moderator.
    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM.

Re: Quilted jacket lining?

JJ,

You may want to contact the Wisconsin Veterans Museum in Madison. They have several original Union officers jackets in their collection.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Re: Quilted jacket lining?

Originally posted by JJ Przewozniak View Post
      Hi all, Does anyone have any reference photos to share of the quilting patterns inside officers' privately bought jackets? Also, I've read that colored thread was used at times in certain garments--does anyone have pictorial evidence of that?
      They closely resemble those found in civilian frock coats of the period. There are a couple original 1860s civilian frock coats I'm familiar with that are quilted with red thread, this was done by MACHINE though, not by hand. The point of the red thread was to show off the incredibly elaborate machine quilting patterns that were popular in the 1860s. It's not necessarily common though, I own and have examined far more original 1860s civilian coats with elaborate quilting that is done with matching black thread. You don't see this before the 1860s and you don't really see it after the 1860s. So find an original coat to base the quilting pattern on and if it's an elaborate pattern it will most likely be done by machine.

Here's an example of a quilting pattern I replicated in a junior officer's frock coat that is based identically off the quilting pattern in an original 1860s civilian frock coat in my collection:

Last edited by Ian McWherter; 05-28-2010, 03:56 PM.
      Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Working...
      X