1842 production number help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 production number help

I looked around and can't seem to find the answer, I know this topic has been touched on.
    I have a 1842 I got used in new condition it has been partially defarbed, the manufacturer name is gone but the serial number is still there witch is:
    D4451
    Trying to figure out the maker and production time so I can move ahead with the defarb. I know that different time frames of production had a lot of different specifics in how it was built. I belive it is armi sport. I'm a artillery head from way back but don't know a lot about these repops.
    Any help will be appreciated!
    Thanks
    John McClellan

Re: 1842 production number help

John

That would be an Armi Sport model. Obviously not the one you got from me a few years ago
    which did not look new and would have been defarbed. The India made 42s do not have serial numbers.
    The things which need to be defarbed are the same, ie: brass sight blade, stock re-contour/refinish,
    different rammer, etc.

It was not that the 42s were different specs in various production years, it is just that the older
    ones were made to slightly higher quality standards due to the tooling, dies, etc being newer.
    The tolerances were tighter. Same weapon. D4451 would be a fairly recently made unit. I bought
    one in the D4xxx range two years ago NIB and defarbed it.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Craig,
      Thanks for the info! And yes I'm still kicking myself for letting that one go! The fine man I got this one from said it had been in the safe for about five years, it seems like a nice tight 42.
      Thanks again
      John McClellan

Comment

Five years could be about right. They hang around on the shelves more now than they used to
        because everyone who wants one (it seems) has one. The one I bought that was D4xxx was a
        Dixie Gun Works close-out. Who knows how long it was sitting around? It did up fine, too. In fact,
        de-farbing an Armi Sport 1842 is so easy, Todd Watts can even do it without asking for help. And for a
        nominal cost at that.

Or you can do most of it yourself, except probably for the brass sight blade on the top band. With a little
        effort and minimal cost (compared to an Enfield) you can have a historically accurate, well-made weapon.

I was sorry I let that first one you had go, too...it was nearly perfect. I recently traded a Zoli 1841 for Ross Lamoreaux's
        ancient Armi Sport 1842, which was quite salty just like that one was that you had. It did up my-t-fine. Original rammer on
        that one from Lamoreaux, which makes a huge difference, and an original bayonet so the swap wasn't as one sided as it sounds.
        Well it was, but Lamoreaux is a great tailor and you want your draper to owe you a few favors. Your shirts get better
        buttons that way.

Good luck with the new 42, comrade. Excellent choice.
        Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-28-2010, 08:44 PM.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

JOHN!!!!!!
          I've been trying to get a hold of you for a LONG TIME. I have something that belongs to you. PM me or call me ASAP!
          V/R
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Craig,
            As usual thanks for the help! I'll be in touch with you and Todd. Have a great weekend and hope to see you around!
            Brandon good talking with you buddy!
            Mods Craig has answered my questions.
            Thanks
            John McClellan

Isa 53:5

Comment

I have the opposite problem. The serial number on my M-1842 is D012. At that point in production, Armi Sport wasn't even close to working out the bugs. What can I say, proceed in haste, regret at your leasure! :)
              Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
              X