Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate issue uniforms of the 42nd Mississippi

Hello everyone,

I am a member of the 42nd Mississippi Co. I based out of the Gettysburg, Pa. region. Our regiment portrays a very wide confederate type impression, which varries from gray wool pants and coats, to gray jean wool, to butternut, with light blue piping. and blue gov't issue standard kersey light blue wool. Our hats range from kepis, planter hats, to slouch hats and we have one gentleman in the unit wearing a scottish style hat.

I am looking for an accurate description of what the 42nd Miss. had been issued for standard uniform when they were formed in April 1862, if they were issued anything at all. Things like colors, styles, accroutments, whatever distinguished them as the 42nd would be most helpful and would really take the frustration out of the mystery of what our unit actually or generally wore so we may better represent the history accurately in honor of the men who served and gave their lives. Especially when we do events like Gettysburg, Wilderness and other reenactments where the unit had a storied history. I have checked through many books on uniforms but have thus far come up empty or with a very vague description. I have learned that regiments from various regions of Mississippi dressed entirely different based upon the areas climate, topography/geography and economical status but colors, material and styles varied greatly. The 42nd Mississippi Co. I was located in Panola County, Mississippi and the Sardis/Como town sector, but the entire regiment was primarily from the North-west Corner of the state. While many regiments of Mississippi had fought in the Western theatre/campaign, the 42nd Miss. was placed under the command of the Army of Northern Virginia and saw its first major action on July 1, 1863 in Gettysburg, under Brig. Gen. Joseph Davis, Heth's Division, A.P. Hill Corp.

so if anyone could help with a good detailed description, that would be most appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance. What a great forum that I have read through and learned so much already.
    Todd Wiley
    42nd Mississippi Co. I
    Gettysburg/Harrisburg Pa.
Working...
X