Campaigning Chaplains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigning Chaplains

I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered before but I have searched through the archives and have come up empty.

I am portraying an AOT regimental chaplain in a unit that is progressing from the mainstream. I consider myself a campaigner, BUT, there seems to be some confusion as to the definition of the "C" word. To me, campaigner is an adjective describing a lightly packed soldier on the move. Others in our unit consider it more of a noun of some stature and a kind of "clothes make the man" type of deal. Although I'm curious, the definition is not my main question. I'd like to know if it is correct for me to be on the march and battlefield with the rank and file. I have found several accounts supporting this as accurate, but, I think I might be missing something. I realize that this would have to be specifically documented for any historic battle or scenario, but that is usually not an issue here in Florida. I just want to correctly educate the public and fellow reenactors who want to learn. I don't know why I have never before seen this portrayed. Am I doing the right thing or am I missing something obvious that I just can't see from my viewpoint? Thanks in advance.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
    Brian Darsey

"Darsey O'Brien"
    Chaplain, 4th FL Reg.
    7 lbs of Bacon Mess[/FONT]

Re: Campaigning Chaplains

Brian,
    In researching and understanding a chaplain on "campaign" or understanding a chaplain in general please read, "Dr. Quintard, Chaplain C.S.A and Second Bishop of Tennessee"-The Memoir and Civil War Diary of Charles Todd Quintard, Edited by Sam Davis Elliot.

This book is just a wet stone to sharpen your axe my friend.

Enjoy
    Kaelin R. Vernon
    SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Kaelin,

I just ordered the book. I can't believe it didn't come up in my Google searches. Like I said, I have several references to chaplains providing moral support, tending wounds, and taking charge of litter bearers during battle. This book seems like just what I've been looking for to "sharpen up" my impression. Thank you!
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
      Brian Darsey

"Darsey O'Brien"
      Chaplain, 4th FL Reg.
      7 lbs of Bacon Mess[/FONT]

Comment

RebleRouser,
        There is an editorial here at A.C. geared to Federal chaplains. You may also check www.rmjc.org
        for chaplain Farleys site. He has many books listed and reproduction tracts. I am working on a federal chaplain of an Ohio volunteer regiment with the AOP.

The chaplains did campaign and I beleive there were 10 federals killed in service, with 1 receiving the medal of honor.

Are you clergy? I am a layman who is too old to shoulder a musket.

Comment

Here is a link that might help and encourage you alittle.

This article is about William Asbury Parks, the Chaplain of the 52nd Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He writes about passing out Testiments in the trenches around Atlanta and of comming under fire by Federal pickets on a couple occassions. Also mentions a sermon being cut short by Federal firing over his head.
          Captain Andy Witt
          52nd Geo Vol Inf Co I CSA
          Blue Ridge Mess

http://www.52ndgeorgia.webs.com

Comment

Working...
          X