Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of Unpainted Knapsack, Painted Cloth Gunner's Haversacks, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Unpainted Knapsack, Painted Cloth Gunner's Haversacks, etc.

To reply to the ongoing thread on Painted Cloth accoutrements I went through my box of CS equipage research and over a decades worth of print outs from here on the AC and my old message board. Anyway, a couple of subjects I thought I would revisit since it has been several years since they were brought up. So has anyone come across data on unpainted CS knapsacks, specifically if anyone has found out what pattern they were using to make them? Speculation is that its a Mex War bag pattern, but still trying to find definative proof. Also, Painted Cloth Gunner's haversacks, there are CS Ord. reports to them, being made, and the late George Woodbridge had an illustration showing one, so he had to have viewed one at some point. In the illustration it shows a simple bag with what appears to be a webbing sling. Anyway, some things to discuss and throw about.

Lee
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Re: Of Unpainted Knapsack, Painted Cloth Gunner's Haversacks, etc.

Greetings folks,

To throw more speculation on the topic that Lee has brought up so well let's look to the Nov 11, 1862, cargo of the Justitia that did successfully run the blockade per the McRae papers. Even at this "early" date, it appears Caleb Huse was fully aware of the deficencies at the Arsenals/Depots and purchased the following:

500 Knapsack strap middlings
    642 pounds mixed cut leather for knapsack trimmings
    1258 yards knapsack cloth
    10,000 sets knapsack furniture
    I'll let everyone else make the assumptions but the information is very interesting. Much more later on this topic but wanted to throw that out there.

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA
    Iron Scouts

Comment

Lee,
      the only thing I canr ecall about unpainted knapsacks probably came from you and it was a quarterly report showing where a good number (maybe 15K or more) had been produced in the 1st 2 quarters of 1863.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Lee,

I came across the following on Footnote at http://www.footnote.com/image/#30685736 It lists 1200 White Duck Knapsacks received by the Atlanta Ordnance Depot on 14 Aug 1862, no indication of pattern. The knapsacks were manufatured by Barber Greenwood & Co.

Found a further invoice, same company, listing both painted and unpainted knapsacks, http://www.footnote.com/image/#30685743 Painted cost $3.25 and unpainted at 60cents and $1.00. this invoice also received at Atlanta on 11 Nov 1862. The two prices for unpainted knapsacks suggested two different styles. Also of interest is these knapsacks were also being shipped to Richmond.
        Last edited by PenPusher; 07-14-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: Extra information and correction of prices
        Alan Thrower
        Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
        confederateuniforms.org
        pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
        pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
        pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
        pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
        pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
        pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Lon Webster's book Entrepot has some information regarding unpainted knapsacks and haversacks. I don't have it in front of me but there is some very interesting info contained there-in, particularly with regard to numbers and manufacturing centers (I want to say that Nashville was making and issuing a lot in the war's opening months).

Regards,
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Re: Of Painted Cloth Gunner's Haversacks, Huh??

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
            Also, Painted Cloth Gunner's haversacks, there are CS Ord. reports to them, being made, and the late George Woodbridge had an illustration showing one, so he had to have viewed one at some point. In the illustration it shows a simple bag with what appears to be a webbing sling. Anyway, some things to discuss and throw about.

Lee
            Now I AM intrigued!!! Any similar findings for cloth tube pouches?

Since you already have said data on hand, how about posting them here, for our perusal?
            Are any specific arsenals, depots or batteries named? Is this early or late in the war, East or West?
            Any commentary on their utility, success or failure in action?

I'm prepared to be convinced such creatures were manufactured, perhaps even issued, yet I MUST doubt their efficacy...
            At a loaded weight of 12-15 lbs for a fixed round of ammunition that's gotta be some monster of a bag. I'm thinking twice or better the size of a standard Federal haversack, so you don't hafta fight the rounds into & out of it. Shot, shell, case or canister, plus sabot, powder charge & fuse that'd put an awful lotta strain on a simple webbing sling wouldn't it??

There's reasons why the Ordnance Manual calls for leather, protection being the first, & durability the second. I'd hate to drag a mildewed, rotten, festering piece of cloth outa the confines of the limber chest, have an explosive projectile & its propellant stuffed in there, then run under fire from the caisson to the muzzle hoping it doesn't fall at my feet...

I'm really looking forward to seeing your reports, & that drawing, for myself.

Dum Spiro Spero

Bruce G. Rollin

Late of Lazarus Battery
            guilt by association: Lilly's 18th Indiana/Lumsden's (Alabama) Battery
            Formerly Palmetto (S.C.) Light Artillery
            Past 3rd Lieutenant, 1stConfDiv Artillery Staff
            retired, dilettante, raconteur, postulator, button counter, nit picker and critic

Comment

Re: Of Painted Cloth Gunner's Haversacks, Huh??

Mr White,
              You stated that the late George Woodbridge had a drawing of a painted cloth Gunners Haversack but you did not say where the drawing is. Would you please share this info. I would also like you to share the CS Ord. reports that state they were made. This could prove very interesting and I would like to have more Artillery discussions.
              Thanks
              Bill Thomas
              Driver
              Lazarus Battery

Comment

Working...
              X