Equipment Exchanges with the Enemy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Exchanges with the Enemy

As someone who's relatively new to the hobby, I'm wondering what folks think about impressions that reflect exchanges of equipment between soldiers on the different sides. Is this something that folks have done or might recommend? For the purpose of developing a Union officer's impression, I'm considering carrying a CSA sword. The particular historical basis for doing so is found in materials I inherited from my great, great, great uncle, Albert E. Higley, who served in the 22nd New York State Volunteers. In particular, on Friday, May 22, 1863, Albert, who served in the Army of the Potomac as a 2-year man through June 1863, wrote in his diary: "Weather pleasant & warm. Nothing exciting on the picket line today. The boys have been across the river exchanging tobacco etc. Several of the rebels have come over to this side. Our Lt. came over and had quite a conversation with Cameron. Duers went over the river and exchanged swords with a rebels Capt. I am chief operator on Walt's telegraph."

Clearly, equipment exchanges such as this occurred (and were not always limited to tobacco and coffee). Particularly because I'm fortunate enough to have a (personal) historical basis/reference for doing so, it seems to me that employing an equipment exchange such as the one referenced above might add nicely to an impression (i.e., give one an interesting story to tell, etc.).

Any related thoughts, experiences, etc.?

Ken Aldous
    123rd NYSV, 2d Reg't, USV
    Great, great, great nephew of:
    Albert E. Higley (22nd NYSV & 16th NYHA)
    Julius H. Higley (123rd NYSV & 109th USCT)
    L.S. Herbert Higley (16th NYHA)
    Ken Aldous
    Co. D, 5th NY Inf. (2d Regt. USV)
    Co. E, 123rd NYSV (2d Regt. USV)
    GGG nephew of Julius H. Higley, Co. E, 123rd NYSV & Co. A, 109th USCT
    GGG nephew of Albert E. Higley, Co. H, 22nd NYSV & Co. G, 16th NYHA
    GGG nephew of L.S. Herbert Higley, Co. G, 16th NYHA
Working...
X