Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions on sword quality

Hello All,

I am putting together a junior grade officer's impression and have come to the point where I need to buy a sword. I don't have the money to buy an original so that option is off the table. I have looked high and low for a decent repro and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the the Non-regulation officer's sword that Dixie Gunworks carries. Has anyone seen one of these or owns one? I'd like to know more about it before I decide to buy. How will it stand up in the field? I've posted the link to the sword on their site so people can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
    Liberty Rifles
    Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Re: Need some opinions on sword quality

One of my friends carries one, and it looks great. He did a little bit of defarbing to it I know but I dont recall the details of what he did.
    -Brandon Hand
    48th NY Co. F
    Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

I can't say that I ever saw a repro of one of these before. I also couldn't make or give a valid opinion by looking at that picture. I'd be curious to see this in person. I know you said that you don't want to go the way of carrying an original in the field but the Non-regulation swords are typically one of the cheaper originals you can find. I carry one in the field myself. If you look hard you might be able to get one for $650 to $750. When you are done with portraying an officer and hang up your reenacting shoes you also are left with something in your collection and not just another thing you have to try and sell off.

Cheers,
      Rob Weber

Comment

I have one as well as an original carried by my GG Grandfather during the CW. Repro is decent, needs some defarbing. I took off the nickel plating so it would patinate more naturally. Overall it is a decent repro of a popular and under represented blade.
        Christopher Wilson

Comment

Hallo!

I took a series of photos today, and when I went to post them, they had disappeared from the digital camera.

I will try again tomorrow.

:(

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

The images that Curt posted of the repro shows that it is very similar to the original Solingen swords. I carried an original for several years and besides the nickel finish, looks pretty darn close.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Most originals I have seen have a shark/rayskin grip. It does have the usual bulbous fixing nut on the end of the pommel and the steel on the hand guard is not as thick as originals. Overall this is a decent repro.

Comment

Working...
                X