Challenging and Countersign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging and Countersign

"And don't get me started on the proper way to challenge while on guard and what the parole is really for. "

The above quote is from another thread about a different reenactorism topic. I think it is a valid discussion to have.

The use of a sign and countersign and parole are missused and missunderstood.

It seems a modern use of sometype of sign/countersign is used for guards/picketts instead of the proper challenge and countersign use. Not sure why but an area that needs improvement. I believe it will also help "secure" our picket lines and keep things easy and clear.

Reg 424: After retreat (or the hour appointed by the commanding officer), until broad daylight, a sentinel challenges every person who approaches him, taking, at the same time, the position of arms port. He will suffer no person to come nearer than within reach of his bayonet, until the person has given the countersign.

A sentinel, in challenging, will call out – “ Who comes there?” If answered “Relief,” he will reply – “Halt! Advance Sergeant (or Corporal), with the countersign!” and satisfy himself that the party is what it represents itself to be.

Let's discuss!
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: Challenging and Countersign

Jeremy:

I think two other "challenging" scenarios need to be added to the discussion.

A sentinel, in challenging, will call out – “ Who comes there?” What should a group of friendly troops returning to camp after visiting say a local establishment or from a patrol reply to the challenge and how would the sentinel respond?

My guess would be if answered “Captain such and such from company A,” he will reply – “Halt! Advance One, with the countersign!” and satisfy himself that the party is what it represents itself to be.

Also what would the response to a local civilians or farmers?

Kace
    Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
    7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Hopefully the local civilians or farmers have enough sense to not be out at night and between the lines of contending armies, but in that rare case I'd imagine they would call out "friend(s)" and the sergeant or corporal of the guard would have one advance to determine that said wayward civies are in fact whom they claim to be. A curious nco would also inquire why one might be in the area at such an hour.
      [SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Garamond"]Mike Tommarello[/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/SIZE]
      [I]"Iron City Mess"[/I]
      9th Pennsylvania Reserves
      Co. A[/FONT]

Comment

Sgt. Tom,

Excuse my reply from the cavalry side, but I'd be a little more specific. The sentinel would keep the suspects at bay and summon the corporal of the guard. The COG and his detachment would take them in to be interrogated by the officer of the day. Soldiers out without a pass would be sent to the guardhouse, while civilians might be sent to a higher authority or on their way. Of course that's the ideal; in fact sentinels played it by ear, depending on the formality of their unit.

Andrew German
        Andrew German

Comment

Working...
        X