Richmond Depot trouser hems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Depot trouser hems

This might be a long shot...but does anyone have any photos of original Richmond Depot trouser hems? Specifically how they were finished at the ankle. I have always just pressed up and stitched into place. Just curious of any variation on this, like was done with some federal trousers--a separate piece of cloth attached at the trouser bottom.
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Re: Richmond Depot trouser hems

Eric,

I just noticed this detail thother day. Image of dead cornfed in petersburg trenches from discussion on his shirt. But if you blow up the photo you will see they are just rolled and felled as C/C notes on Richmond depot trousers.

Ken Irvin
    The Skulkers Mess

PS Don't know if your interested but check out the detail on the new looking brogan with exterior counter at his feet by the hat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ken_Irvin; 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Ken Irvin

Comment

Occasionally a partial lining/reinforcement above the hem, but I don't believe I've ever seen anything more than that on surviving C.S. enlisted trousers. Going through some notes from pieces I've looked at, it seems that the raw bottom edges of some jeans/cassimere trousers were simply turned up and stitched, others exhibit the extra fold to turn under that raw edge. Kersey enlisted trousers seem to almost always simply have the raw edge turned up and stitched.

Not sure if we can specifically ID a single specific pattern of pants to the Richmond Clothing Bureau, but if I remember correctly the kersey pair pictured has ANV provenience.

-Craig Schneider
      Attached Files
      Craig Schneider

Comment

Ken and Craig,

Thanks for the photos... that's exactly what I was looking for.
        Respectfully,
        -Kyle M. Stetz
        Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

The pair of RD issue pants I've inspected had the partial lining only where the top of the shoe would hit. Furthermore, they were defintely longer in the back than in the front (length of the pants leg). I'll dig for the photos.

Joe Walker

Comment

Kyle,

Check out the images of the CS "artillery" trousers at Gettysburg that CJ Daley & Sheri from Galla Rock have examined, they appear to have a facing in addition to the duck lining. I know that they are not RD trousers, but it is a variant of cuff closure worth considering.

Aaron Cook

"Argggghhh, I am a bear, and I am hungry!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X