C.S. sack coats at Shiloh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.S. sack coats at Shiloh

I've a friend who is anticipating reenacting the 150th Shiloh event. He intends to sew his own clothing. He asked if there's evidence some C.S. participants of the battle wore issue sack coats. Any help?
    David Fox

Re: C.S. sack coats at Shiloh

David,

What do you mean by "issue sack coat"? In the spring of '62 the C.S. QMD was still trying to get it's act together in the west and the fall of Nashville left them reeling. If he is going to sew his own stuff, he would do well to stick a simple frock or jacket. Confederate forces at Shiloh were wearing all sorts of stuff: some state issue clothing, "commutation" clothing, and stuff from home. Hell, some of the upper crust militia companies from New Orleans and Mobile were still wearing their blue coats! It all really depends on the unit, and where they were stationed before being called up to Corinth before the battle.

Will MacDonald

Comment

I'm no Phoenix when it comes to Confederate uniforms, knowing just enough to get out of my own way. However, I did suggest to my buddy that, as the sack coat was still quite new in both men's fashions in general and U.S. Army issue in particular, it is doubtful if Southron folks in the western theatre even thought of such in the spring of '62. North Carolina famously issued them, and mayhap Florida, but I, too, would be interested to know if any were known to have been issued and to and worn by rebels at Shiloh. For whatever it's worth, one doubts if the loss of Nashville in late February, 1862 would have begun to impact Confederate uniform issue in the field, such as it was, as early as the first days of the following April.
      David Fox

Comment

Research determines the product, not the other way around.

The question is backwards. Don't start with the desired item then try to justify it. Start with the unit and do some research on what may have been issued.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Research determines the product, not the other way around.

Hello, I have a quote from a Wisconsin paper that states half of the Confederates he saw at Shiloh were in some type of uniform the other half in civilian clothes. I know that is a very broad description to build on. I believe civilian sack coats were worn at Shiloh, but by whom and from what State or Regiment will take some more research.

Please include your signature with every post or use the auto signature feature. Standard nfraction imposed. - Silas Tackitt, moderator.
          Last edited by Silas; 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM. Reason: Signature rule violation
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Just paid a visit to the Museum of the Confedreacy (MOC). They had on display the single-breasted shell jacket of Private John Dimitry of Louisiana's Crescent Rifles. According th the MOC, "Dimitry's jacket is the only known enlisted man's jacket with a Shiloh history."

As much as it pains me to infract someone for using the Bear Republic Flag - my being a native Californian and all - I cannot play favorites. Please review the rules as linked in my PM to you. Forum avatars must be of you in your period attire or no avatar at all. - Silas Tackitt, moderator
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Silas; 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM. Reason: Avatar violation
            Steve Boecker
            Co. A First Texas Infantry
            28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
            Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

I know this is prior to Shiloh, but if you look at this picture of the officers and NCOs of Rutledge's Tennessee Battery, you will see some wearing either a short frock or something some people may consider a sack coat. This picture was taken in July 1861. I haven't seen another picture with this style frock/sack/jacket.

Michael Dec

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\mdec\Desktop\MiscCW\battery A.jpg[/IMG]
              Last edited by MDec; 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: picture didn't come through
              Michael Dec
              McClung's Tennessee Battery
              http://armydrawers.echoes.net/

Comment

"Just paid a visit to the Museum of the Confedreacy (MOC). They had on display the single-breasted shell jacket of Private John Dimitry of Louisiana's Crescent Rifles. According th the MOC, "Dimitry's jacket is the only known enlisted man's jacket with a Shiloh history."

Hate to bust their bubble, but there is a shell jacket worn by a man Killed at Shiloh in the collection of the Battle of Franklin Trust.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

I'd be willing to bet my eye teeth that there were more than a few civilian sack coats there, but as far as CS issue sacks....The Little Rock Depot issued sack and frock coats, but I'm not sure wither there were any worn at Shiloh. Again look for your units quartermaster reports.

Regards,
                  Garrett Glover
                  Garrett Glover

Comment

The picture from my post didn't go through. I'll try it from the source:

Michael Dec

http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/...SOBOX=1&REC=13
                    Michael Dec

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                      "Just paid a visit to the Museum of the Confedreacy (MOC). They had on display the single-breasted shell jacket of Private John Dimitry of Louisiana's Crescent Rifles. According th the MOC, "Dimitry's jacket is the only known enlisted man's jacket with a Shiloh history."

Hate to bust their bubble, but there is a shell jacket worn by a man Killed at Shiloh in the collection of the Battle of Franklin Trust.
                      aww Pat, come on now. You know those MOC folks don't acknowledge that there was fightin' on the other side of the mountains.
                      Bryant Roberts
                      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Michael: I had checked the Rutledge photo after your first posting. 'Pears to my sorry old eyes the jacket to which I believe you refer may be one of those Austrian style short frock coats seen in an early war photograph of James Longstreet.
                        David Fox

Comment

David,
                          It is interesting that you said Austrian style. The battery was formed by E. F. Falconet, a Swiss immigrant, but he had to settle as First Lt. because orders came down that all battery commanders had to be graduates of West Point. I'm sure he was disappointed after all the work he did recruiting everyone. Perhaps he had the uniforms made for his battery, from a style he was familiar with.

Michael Dec
                          Michael Dec

Comment

Lads- Silas said all that needs be said here, and that is what we as member should be teaching those inquiring .........It isn't to be mean or anything, but why are we asking others or doing research for someone else out here? "Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish?"

Sorry, but this thread should be closed...... It should have been a thread posting what 'this unit was wearing this' from documented period accounts.

Don't mean to upset anyone, but we need to be realistic.....
                            Jay Stevens
                            Tater Mess
                            Independent Volunteers
                            Iron Man Mess
                            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                            Lost Tribes, October 2009
                            Bummers, November 2009
                            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                            In the Van, August 2010
                            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Jay; it isn't as if there's a great deal of specific information out there on the 'net, in Frederick Todd's volumes, in a particular Osprey publication, or otherwise about Confederate uniforms in the western theatre as of April, 1862. todd is, for instance, sketchy about Tennessee troops. For units serving at Shiloh there tends to be available generally something relating to what they wore when mustered in in '61 and what they were issued toward mid-war when the central government was cranking-out more-or-less uniform clothing. I, personally, had no idea Little Rock Depot was manufacturing sack coats. Have no idea where I'd find that bit of datum. One supposes teaching fishing is a worthy goal of A-C, but my experience has been that within its ranks is a great fund of cumulative knowledge gleaned from often obscure ponds. Sharing that knowledge has tended to be what this forum has been about. Or have I missed something?
                              Last edited by David Fox; 08-18-2010, 05:34 AM.
                              David Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X