Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 Springfield Musket Question

Hi Folks,

I have the opportunity to buy this 1842 Springfield Rifled Musket, lock dated 1845. The barrel is 30" long. Am I correct in assuming that this musket has been sporterized and is not an as issued musket? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Cpl. Parker; 08-16-2010, 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Joe Grant

Re: 1842 Springfield Musket Question

Hallo!

Correct.

Although it is "interesting" in that some one, some time, some place took some extra pains to make it look like the M1847 Artillery Musketoon but didn;t make it with the proper 26 inch barrel.
    Often times, 'cut-downs' can be post War surplus "farmer's" or "poor man" shotguns sold commercially, or even individual guns sometimes very crudely "sporterized."

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Kevin,

It is NOT an "as issued" firearm.
      It is cut down.
      This maybe due to it having been damaged in some manner. This alteration may have been the most expedient way of making an otherwise unusable firearm serviceable.
      Both Richmond and Macon Armories/Arsenals were known to do this to M-1842's in this barrel length.
      Is the front band held in place with the barrel band spring? It is hard to tell in your photo.
      Are you sure this firearm is rifled?

Comment

It appears that the nose cap is just friction fitted. I will have a better idea of all it's foibles when it arrives. Here is a closer photo of the nose cap. Thanks

Joe Grant

Comment

I believe 1847 musketoons utilized M.1841 rifle-size locks, too.
          David Fox

Comment

Still and all, it would not be that hard to replace the barrel and forestock and have a fine re-enactor piece.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I have an original that is very similar to what you have. I was trying to sell it awhile back but I priced it too high. It is totally functional just needs a new nipple. I plan on using it eventually. Anyway here is the link to the original post so you can see some pictures...http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ht=Josh+Sawyer

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
              Liberty Rifles
              Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

Gents,

I have a bit of a dilemma, Should I replace the nose-cap band spring in it's present position or cut the barrel back to carbine length? I favour leaving the nose-cap where it is and NOT to cut the barrel. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
                Joe Grant

Comment

Kevin,

The CS modification(s) to this barrel length and the shorter 26" barrel used a "pan head" iron/steel wood screw to hold the front band in place. The body of the screw should be small enough in dia. to fit the hole in the band which was meant for the band spring. This wood screw simply screws into the stock through that same hole. No other modifications are needed.
                  You may want to check under the front band to see if there is a hole in the stock for where a screw "may" have been.
                  Should the front band have a sling swivel added/reattached, it seems more common that front band spring would be inlet to hold the band in place and support the weight of the firearm from a sling.
                  If you have never inlet a band spring before, I would suggest avoiding the attempt.
                  Just some thoughts on my part,

Comment

Blair,

Thank you very much for the excellent suggestion. I have inlet a band spring before but your idea is less damaging.
                    Joe Grant

Comment

Decades ago I fabricated a sorta musketoon out of the parts, shortened barrels and stocks one was once able to acquire from the likes of Cecil Ennis, R.I.P. Had Robert Hoyt press a .69 calibre rifled liner into the barrel, fitted an M.1861 rear sight, had the muzzle turned and a stud affixed to mount an M.1835 bayonet. It looks swell, is great eyewash mounting interior guard with artillery impressions, but I can't hit a bull's butt at fifty feet with it.
                      Last edited by David Fox; 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM.
                      David Fox

Comment

Sorry to bump but the musket arrived and I have another question. There appears to be no evidence that there was ever a rear sight. According to Wikipedia, I know not the best source, some 1842s were sent to be rifled, would they all have had rear sights added?
                        Last edited by Cpl. Parker; 09-18-2010, 04:36 PM. Reason: clarity
                        Joe Grant

Comment

Hallo!

There are two types, the smoothbore musket as originally made. Between 1856 and 1859, the two national armories "rifled and sighted" 14,182, and
                          just "rifled" 4,363..

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt!
                            Joe Grant

Comment

Kevin -

A little late to the discussion here, but I know that about 3,200 1842 Springfield rifled muskets were cut down at the Springfield Armory to 33 inch 2-bands specifically for Fremont's expedition at the end of the Mexican War. My understanding was that they were mainly lock dated 1847 and had a spring clip for the nose cone and a lug to accept the .69 bayonet. Otherwise they are very similar to the one you have here. Many times these "Fremont" rifles or "Pattern 1842 Short Rifled Muskets" are easily confused with artillery models. On a limb here, but maybe you have a "pilot" or test/evaluation model? Or maybe an early version that was further "modified" after production?
                              Rich Libicer
                              Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
                              4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
                              6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
                              4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
                              21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
                              5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
                              Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Working...
                              X