1842 Springfield Musket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1842 Springfield Musket Question

Kevin, Just my opinion, but I personaly would avoid any mods to the weapon. I would never leave out the possibility of a repaired weapon coming from a CS Armory. There are very good records showing Richmond Armory reparing many old large cal. weapons. Because of failing barrel making extrusion machinery, the Armory was caused to shorten the standard 40 inch barrel length to 33 inches on their rifle musket model. This was being done by 1864. Also telling would be that barrel length modifactions could be possible on other models. Another twist here is that the musketoon for C.S. was mainly being asembled at the much over looked Fayeteville Armory. Interesting weapon...

George Taggart
    George Taggart

Comment

Re: 1842 Springfield Musket Question

I have left the musket as I found it, minus the varnish. I had my gunsmith give it the "once over" and I plan to give a try, with light loads, at the range. I will post the results:-)

Edit: Not definitive proof but a reasonable assumption. While we had the musket apart it was evident that the nose cap/front band had been in-place almost as long as the rear band. That is to say that the barrel had been cut long ago and the brightness of the metal of the barrel under both bands were similar.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my questions.
      Last edited by Cpl. Parker; 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM. Reason: information
      Joe Grant

Comment

Working...
      X