ID this musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this musket

What type of musket is this? French, Belgian, Austrian? It's a .69 but I didin think to check the rifling. In G-VG shape. What's a good price? It has the two notchs on the trigger guard like some Belgians. No marks on lockplate but some random markings on sides of the barell.
    William L. Shifflett
    Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Re: ID this musket

William,

Took all night, but I think I got it:

Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

It looks similar to a Prussian or Austrian musket that a friend of mine owned a few years back. If I remember correctly it was a .73 or .75 cal. and all the hardware was brass.
      Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

Dan that one is the the best match I've come across. Some differences are that the lockplate seems shorter and rounder on the one I pictured,.The hammer spur on the one I pictured is shorter, weird short but appears to be made that way. And I don't recall any markings or numbers on the lockplate and it doesn't have a bit of pitting on it. It's in a shop in Ohio and the guy wants $700 for it. I'm tempted to grab it up but don't want a piece I'd loose a bunch of money on if I sold it down the road.
        William L. Shifflett
        Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

It looks just like my '42 Austrian Musket...
          Tristan Galloway

Comment

Looks like an Austrian 42 or 49 to me as well. The lock doesn't look right for a Prussian IMO $700 is steep but if it's in firing condition. Originally IIRC it was in .70. I've seen them go for as little as $350 and well over $1200 depending on what the market will bear. There were three at a show I was at on Saturday averaging about $700. I wanted the French 1857 but tyhe fella wouldn't budge from $1450.

Good Luck
            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
            SUVCW Camp 48
            American Legion Post 352
            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hello,

Its an Austrian Tubelock that was converted to standard percussion by Henry Leman of PA. This one is unusual in that it has the original tubelock hammer (modified) The leman conversions I have seen usually have a hammer similar to the 42 Springfield. Perhaps this is an early conversion?

Ben McGee

Comment

Working...
              X