Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Early-Mid War Impression

Ladies and Gents:

Being new to the site and to the forums, I had a question to ask of those of you with much greater experience than I in authentic re-enacting.

The impression I am shooting for is that of an early to mid-war volunteer in the New Mexico Territory. Being such, it would seem appropriate that my kit would be a mixture of late model Federal issue and whatever I could grab that bespoke of militaria. Southwestern depots were not exactly crammed with the newest, shiniest gear the US Army had to offer. I think this would include primarily throw-away Mexican War and interwar accoutrement and weaponry (buff leather, M1855 cartridge box, M1839 wheel cap, armament such as the '42 or '55 that would still have been available from sources in this area. Maybe even a Lherbet knapsack from my grandpa!), mixed with some updated Federal issue such as trousers, shoes and sack. Homespun shirt, drawers, braces.

This is the impression I would like to portray, but it is generally frowned upon in mainstream events, mainly because I do not look like I just came out of a Union soldier mold. Generally, more time is spent telling me what I have wrong without understanding what I am trying to portray. So, my question is this, since I am new to this type of re-enacting:

For events outside of the southwest, would this be acceptable? Or, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on such an impression?

Thanks for any response,

VR & YOS
    CPL Rich Libicer
    "Kit Carson's Own"
    Rich Libicer
    Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
    6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
    4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
    21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
    5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
    Haitus...... Until Now

Re: Southwest Early-Mid War Impression

Rich,my advice would be to try and start researching.It seems to me that there were a number of Federal troops down there.They would not have had the latests,but would have pretty decent equippment.I mean not to sound like a jerk,but if you can start researching and backing up your find with hard evidence,that will make the impression much easier.If you can,try finding a period fort in your area and start there.They should have the quatermaster records on site or can get them from state and Federal archives.Once you get them,that will have a wealth of info.Also start reading letters and diaries of men stationed at the fort.That will help give you an insite into daily life as well as possible dress tips.

I hope that this helps you.Good luck on that impression.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Thanks Cullen. I will do that. Appreciate the response.

Rich Libicer
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 08-24-2010, 11:51 AM.
      Rich Libicer
      Fugi's Brown Water Mess

Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Libicer View Post
        Ladies and Gents:

Being new to the site and to the forums, I had a question to ask of those of you with much greater experience than I in authentic re-enacting.

The impression I am shooting for is that of an early to mid-war volunteer in the New Mexico Territory. Being such, it would seem appropriate that my kit would be a mixture of late model Federal issue and whatever I could grab that bespoke of militaria. Southwestern depots were not exactly crammed with the newest, shiniest gear the US Army had to offer. I think this would include primarily throw-away Mexican War and interwar accoutrement and weaponry (buff leather, M1855 cartridge box, M1839 wheel cap, armament such as the '42 or '55 that would still have been available from sources in this area. Maybe even a Lherbet knapsack from my grandpa!), mixed with some updated Federal issue such as trousers, shoes and sack. Homespun shirt, drawers, braces.

This is the impression I would like to portray, but it is generally frowned upon in mainstream events, mainly because I do not look like I just came out of a Union soldier mold. Generally, more time is spent telling me what I have wrong without understanding what I am trying to portray. So, my question is this, since I am new to this type of re-enacting:

For events outside of the southwest, would this be acceptable? Or, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on such an impression?
        Sir-

Not just research... but...

Sounds to me you need to go to better events. Take a look at the events being held in the Events Thread on here. The prescribed list of impression/timeframe/unit is available on each website- shoot for these listings and what they call for along with what you find in your independent research.

Regarding events... I'm in somewhat of a predicament as you are: I now live in an 'authentic event-challenged' area, namely New England (even though I'm from the South). Most of the better events are quite a ways drive for me, but I manage to attend them and they are well-worth it.

Enjoy a new level of reenacting... do an EBUFU. Do some research. THEN, come back to this thread and see if these questions of yours still stand. :)

All the best- Johnny Lloyd ;)
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 08-24-2010, 11:59 AM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hello
          Good luck with your research. I kind of brought up the same topic in a different thread a while ago. Here is a link to it which I got using the search function-

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...rn+confederate
          Kenny Pavia
          24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Thanks gents. I appreciate the help. And Kenny I'll check that thread out.
            Rich Libicer
            Fugi's Brown Water Mess

Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

I suggest you read Texas & New Mexico on the Eve of the Civil War: The Masfield & Johnston Inspections, 1859-1861 by Jerry Thompson. You'd be suprised at what they had. I even saw a few McClellen Saddles in the US Mounted Rifles. Some of these units when east at the outbreak of hostilities but you would be well served reading this book.

And to the reply of going to better events . . . When your this far west, it can be cost prohibitive to go to more than one a year so you sort of have to grit your teeth an bear it. I did one or two for years from the AZ area but as my kids got more demanding it was not feasable any more.

Edit: I also see reference to Kit Carson's men. If that is what your target is I would look at the command under Carson at Val Verde. Mississippi's and '55 US Rifle come to mind.
              Last edited by hardeeflag; 08-24-2010, 07:01 PM.
              Rich Saathoff
              [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
              [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
              [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

Rich - yes that is exactly the impression I'm shooting for. 1861-1862 NM Volunteers. The '42 and '55 serve well. I prefer the '55 as it can be used in a number of impressions.

I've done some research on Carson's unit, but haven't yet been fortunate enough to find any detailed info on uniforms, accoutrement, with the exception of the general "rag tag" statements, or offhand references to motley US uniforms.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I will definitely be trying to track a copy down.

Rich Libicer
                Rich Libicer
                Fugi's Brown Water Mess

Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Rich, interestingly my research of the Southwest has demonstrated that troops out West frequently looked more like regulars (although frequently undersupplied) than the hodgepodge half military, half civilian, anything goes type impression that many mainstream reenactors like to latch onto. I'd be very curious of the details and context of the rag tag descriptions you've come across. Jerry Thompson's Texas & New Mexico on the Eve of the Civil War is an excellent resource. Also useful, although at the end of the time you are aiming at, is Jerry Thompson's New Mexico Territory During the Civil War which provide detailed descriptions after Carleton takes over from Canby. The Army was very much a bureaucracy that generated mountains of paperwork which will help get beyond suppositions to actual facts quite quickly. A very good sample of some of the volume of information out there to be uncovered is the Finding Aid for the Arrott Fort Union Collection at Highlands University in Las Vegas, NM.

Prior to the reorganization, Company A was described thusly in July of 1863 while at Fort Stanton
                  "The men (all Mexican) wore the blouse, and dress-hat, with feathers & eagles, which were in good order, but the pants, in some instances, ragged. The accouterments were cartridge-boxes and waist-belts, with but a few good cap-pouches. The arms were new rifle, Cal. .58, & some of an improved pattern with extra sights, and were in good order. The men were exercised on foot, in the manual of arms, which was nearly that of the infantry, and more precisely that of the old Mounted Rifle Regiment, and in various cavalry movements, including skirmishing by the bugle call."
                  Company A, 5th Inf, California Volunteers was thus described
                  "They were armed with two patterns of rifle musket, Cal. .58, which were in tolerable order, and some of good appearance. The dress was the blouse, generally dark-blue pants, and both hats & caps. Waist-belts were worn & in some cases, shoulder belts, the majority not having them. A few letters were displayed upon the hats, but no numbers, and such articles as cartridge-box plates, screwdrivers, wipers, gun-slings were, in several cases, lacking. Clothing was only in tolerable order, and sometimes dirty, and belts did not generally appear to have been blackened."
                  Interestingly, the shortages identified in the 62-63 Wallens & Evans reports appear to have less to do with long supply lines than with not knowing how to fill out the proper requisition forms. The solution isn't to get by with obsolete and civilian substitutes but to properly requisition the needed items.

Glad to hear that you and others in the 1st NM are stepping up your game and taking action to improve the quality of the impressions presented. Quality reenacting always starts with historical research.
                  Last edited by AZReenactor; 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM.
                  Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                  1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                  Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I would concure with what Troy has said. Where I left the hobby a while back and generally stopped researching a few years back on the NM & AZ theater of the war, he and his group pressed forward. He can offer some good research/advise on the theater.
                    Last edited by hardeeflag; 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM.
                    Rich Saathoff
                    [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
                    [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
                    [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                    X