All things South Carolina....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things South Carolina....

Thought I'd post this series of images for those interested in material culture as it relates to soldiers from the Palmetto State....questions regarding the items/images are encouraged.

Neill Rose
    Palmetto Guards
    Attached Files

Re: All things South Carolina....

Neill,

What is the background on that haversack? I believe I've seen pics of it before.

It looks like a very interesting pattern for what, I presume, is an enlisted man's haversack. It appears to be a "double bag" design where items can be stored in both the main bag and the covering "flap". Is this the case? Does it fasten closed?

Thanks for sharing!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Tailor Charles D. [C.D.] Carr had his shop at 30 Broad Street in Charleston.

Confederate uniform coat, worn by Capt. Warren R. Marshall of Newberry, S.C.
      The dark gray wool and eagle button were made in England and the coat bears a label from
      Charleston tailor, C. D. Carr & Co., 30 Broad Street. Marshall served in Co. A, Washington
      Artillery/Hampton Legion Artillery as indicated by the buff colored facings.
      http://www.charlestonmuseum.org/PDF/...ads_of_War.pdf
      Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

Mike, great image of a wonderfully tailored garment! Yes, C.D. Carr was one of Charleson's most successful tailors. One of the firm's trouser buttons was dug and for sale a number of months ago although it differed from the one shown. I'm sure there are other items out there in collections but I've only seen two so far. Thanks!

John, that's the Yancey Dean double bag haversack out of cotton drill and osnaburg sling. Dean was a nmember of the Gist Riflemen of Hampton's Legion and was severely wounded at Gaines Mill while wearing this piece. Interestingy enough, it's been documented by Ron Field that the Gist Riflemen were given 100 haversacks by the Beech Island Ladies Society in Oct/Nov, 1861. Very good possibility this one of those. A very nice piece for sure! There are remnants of some closing system on the bottom but all that remains is a large cotton thread.

Neill Rose
        Palmetto Guards

Comment

Neill,

Thanks for the pics! I had two GGG Grandfathers in the Gist Riflemen, one joined in April 1864 after the Hampton Legion went back to SC to become mounted infantry, the other was a transfer from the 18th South Carolina Infantry who joined just before the 18th got "blowed up" at the Battle of the Crater. Talk about good timing.

Do we know anything about whats in the other pics?

Will MacDonald

Comment

Hey Will,

The first image of the young lad has no ID unfortunately although I can say the image is as crystal clear as it can be! The other solo image is Pvt Manderville Petsch, Charleston Light Dragoons and probably one of the greatest cav images ever IMHO. He has high top cavalry boots, spurs, coatee with rounded skirts along with the star and palmetto ornamentation on his uniform. You can also see the CLD on his cap. Lastly is the "Beardless Club" (their mess name) all members of the Kirkwood Rangers, 7th SCC, athough this is a early image. Note the huge hanging end of the hat cord on the seated gentleman on the right.

Neill Rose
            Palmetto Guards

Comment

More things South Carolina....

Love that Charleston trouser button!

Manhattan Revolver owned by Capt. R. Press Smith of 1SC Inf. Both him and his father (QM of the 27th SC are buried in Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery, Calif.
              Attached Files
              Jim Mayo
              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: More things South Carolina....

Wow, thanks Jim! Since you liked the button I did find the other dug example which I thought was really neat.

Regards,

Neill Rose
                Palmetto Guards
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X