Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early war flintlock musket - Can you help identify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early war flintlock musket - Can you help identify?

Should have cited this in my last post: Todd states, re the 10th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, "Initially armed with flintlock muskets, hunting rifles and shotguns".
    David Fox

Comment

1864!

HQ Trans Miss Dept
      Shreveport, La. Mar. 27th 1864
      Maj.
      Lt. Gen. Smith directs that you receive the flintlock muskets which he has ordered to be turned in from Genl. Drayton's command, and issue in lieu thereof a corresponding number (between one and two hundred) of infantry arms from those on hand. Genl. Smith also wished to know how many small arms for infantry you have on hand.
      I am Major most respectfully
      Your ob serv
      M. R. Boggs
      Brig. Gen. Chief of Staff
      Maj. T. G. Rhett
      Chf of Ord & Art TMD [Trans-Mississippi Department]

As late as November 1863, the HQ estimated that over 10,000 troops in the department were unarmed.

Dave Stieghan
      David Stieghan
      aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
      Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
      Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

I would put my money on this weapon being a Model 1840, D. Nipppes contract flint lock. They were in pretty good supply in just about every armory north and south in the years leading up to the conflict.

Great photos! Thanks...

George Taggart
        George Taggart

Comment

This weapon very likely could be a Model 1840, D. Nippes contract flint lock. In my opinion, its a strongrer case being this that any of the prior mentioned.

George Taggart
          George Taggart

Comment

Is it possible that the weapon(s) in question may have simply had Tower locks. Last week, I saw photographs of a musket that was in itself somewhat generic, a weapon with State Militia connections I believe (though which State I cannot remember), but I noticed right off the Tower lock; though it was not a Brown Bess, nor far as I could see anything else "British". Is it possible that the parts of British muskets taken during/after the War of 1812, could have been repurposed by other arms makers here in the US?
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

It is defiantly not a pre P-1853 English made firearm.
              The image is so poor, one can not tell if it is a flint or percussion, or even the spesific Model type. (let alone the contractor)
              Do not read more into your documentation than is actually there. Speculation does not make for good research.
              This is, of course, just my opinion.
              Last edited by Blair; 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Just one point to make with regard to the croosover parts idea. The weapons of the 1840's were just introducing the interchangeable parts technology. Prior to that each was more so individualy crafted. Not saying it was never done. We know from atrifacts clear proof pre war weapons were modified and altered both in weapons producing locatiions as well in the field to some degree. I would also be more so of the idea this being a US weapon produced closer to the time of the war.

George Taggart
                George Taggart

Comment

On the contrary. From the photo it clearly shows from the barrel bands and length of weapon no question its a smooth bore or smooth bore caliber. I'll agree, that leaves a few options. What was made available to early CS troops would even narrow the field more. Look closely!

George Taggart
                  George Taggart

Comment

Taking another look at this photo, the barrel bands and the rammer tip lend to the notion of being a early US pattern weapon. A bit to fuzzy to tell the lock if its still flintlock or percussion/ conversion.

The uniform gives some great detail with its collar and cuff trim. Not certain what these fellas received, but it does give good evidence to the conforming units to the early CS uniform regulations.

George Taggart
                    George Taggart

Comment

Information that I have heard (but not seen the supporting documents) was that the 10th Tennessee was armed with Tower flintlock muskets taken from the arsenal at Nashville. These were supposidly some of the 2,000 odd musket recovered from the battlefield at New Orleans in 1815 by Jacksons Tennessee militia. This would make them "India" Pattern Short Land Muskets, aka 3rd Model Brown Besses. The 10th may have had other flint guns in the ranks, or most probably, as suggested in an earlier post, this musket is a photographer's prop.
                      Mark Hubbs
                      My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X