This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Star & Crescent

I must've seen 100 of them on hats at Lamoni, Iowa this past weekend. I've looked all over trying to figure out how, where and why. I've searched this fourm and others and really haven't come up with the truth, yet.

I believe it originates with the Union Army, 7th Corps, Department of Arkansas.

I see it on Rebs. Not on Feds.

The symbol pre-dates the American Civil War. I think it has something to do with Gen. Van Dorn. He had stars and a crescent on his flag. I think it also might've had something to do with the Masonic fraternity, but ......

Were these badges taken as war trophies off of killed federal soldiers?

How'd the boys in western Missouri end up with 'em? Why do so many modern day re-enactors wear them?

I'm sorry for being so full of questions you all, but I figured some of you would know right off the bat.
    [I]"Shout Boys, make a noise, the Yankees are afraid.
    Something's up and Hell's to pay when Shelby's on a raid!"[/I]

John Burgher
    Northeast Missouri Rebel
    Son of Both, Grandson of 1812,
    Great Grandson of Yorktown Patriot

Re: Brass Star & Crescent

The Star represents the five Florida parishes, and the Crescent represents the Crescent City. It was also a symbol of the Knights of the Golden Circle in the south, but stamped out of a coin. In modern times the Star and Crescent in the Muslim version of the Red Cross, but I doubt that was the impression they were going for.
    Andrew Grim
    The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
    x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
    Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

I appreciate you taking a whack at it. Knights of the Golden Circle, Aye.

Do any of you learned men know the symbology of thing? The Brass Star and Crescent (ancient as well as 1860 era.) southern reenactors wear as badges or hat pins.

If they're really war trophies taken off fallen federal soldiers ....... I don't know what to think. I'd sure like to know more for sure.

John Burgher
      Northeast Missouri Rebel

Comment

That's what it is, ain't it? A war trophy taken off a killed federal soldier. When a rebel soldier whears that on his hat.

John Burgher
        Northeast Missouri Rebel

Comment

" That's what it is, ain't it? A war trophy taken off a killed federal soldier. When a rebel soldier whears that on his hat. "

That seems the most logical explanation, I don't see what else it could be.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Some Louisiana toops wore similar ones with 2 points exposed. EOG or the Time Life series has photos. I believe we have one or two at Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans. One I know of is made of silver and engraved. It was obviously made by a Jeweler. Hope this helps.
            Timothy J. Koehn
            Boone's Louisiana Battery
            Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
            http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

John Duffer! You baaaaaaaaaad boy!

" That's what it is, ain't it? A war trophy taken off a killed federal soldier. When a rebel soldier whears that on his hat. "

Ok, this is the WORST kind of FARB reasoning I've heard in a VERY long time.

NO! That ISN'T what it is. Please go back and reread Andrew's simple, but correct, post. Then take a few minutes to do some Googling and learn a little history along the way.
              PATRICK CRADDOCK
              Prometheus No. 851
              Franklin, Tennessee
              Widows' Sons Mess
              www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Aw Piddle Mistah Craddock.

I was hoping Admiral Duffer would get into Friday night refreshments and decide it had something to do with camel raising in Arizona, and transporting them to Co-rinth on the decks of the Harpeth River Fleet........and tell us a mighty good story.

Giggle. Back to whittling pegs for a loom. Looks like it will rain tommorrow. I should have gone hunting today.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I've seen 1000 or more on reactors for every one original I've seen.
                  However, if you own EOG CS, the 8th Kentucky frock has one. Not that that is an endorsement for everyone to get one.
                  Speaking of that 8th Kentucky frock, oh how I'd like to have one...
                  Pat Brown

Comment

Like a lot of stupid mainstream junk, it does have some provence (See Image).

I was informed by Zouave extraordinaire, Shaun Grenan, that the 140th New York soldier:

"The Zouave pin he is wearing is a nipple pick, as used by the French Zouaves (hundreds of them have been found in the Crimea), and a number of American Zouaves in the Civil War. Especially in units with French influence such as the 114th Pennsylvania. It is not a masonic or fraternal device."
                    Attached Files
                    Jason C. Spellman
                    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

You do find this a lot on mainstream CS reenactors on the Trans-Miss side of the hobby. I would probably guess that most of them probably don't have a clue why they have it on but they think it makes them look cool. It does have ties to Van Dorn as they use it and goes back to his flag when he was leading (or not) the Missouri/Arkansas troops on this side of the river in 1862. To my knowledge it is nothing but a mainstream reenactorism over here but you will see a lot of them.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Aye, sir. I don't doubt your reasoning. I asked a guy who was wearing one. He didn't know. Said some BS about Islam and I figured I know'd more than he did already.

I thought I might've stumbled on a tidbit of authentic Trans-Mississippi Theater history with that fallen federal soldier supposition. Probably not, aye?

John Burgher
                        Northeast Missouri Rebel

Comment

Gentlemen,
                          This is the insignia of the Knights of the Golden Circle OR crescent insignia for Louisiana troops "five-pointed star= Florida parishes, and the crescent moon for New Orleans".
                          Nothing more, nothing less.
                          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Also
                            Van Dorn's flag is of KGC origin as well.
                            Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                            16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                            Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Whenever I've seen the badge being worn, I thought it meant the person wearing the badge was a big fan of Don Smith and a Trans Mississippi Depot Co. supporter.
                              Rae G. Whitley
                              [I]Museum of the Horse Soldier[/I]

Tucson, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X