Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of originals...

Is this website new??

PhotoShelter is the premier digital asset management software that organizes and protects your creative assets.

It sure is new to me.

Enjoy,

Randall Pierson

Re: Photos of originals...

It's new to me and pretty amazing.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Pardon me if I'm missing something, but how can this guy copyright a photo of Gen. Robt. E. Lee taken in '63? For that matter, what about the engraving of the death of Jackson? How can he claim copyright for another's artwork.

(Maybe I'll copyright DaVinci's "The Last Supper")
      Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
      Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
      Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
      Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch View Post
        Pardon me if I'm missing something, but how can this guy copyright a photo of Gen. Robt. E. Lee taken in '63? For that matter, what about the engraving of the death of Jackson? How can he claim copyright for another's artwork.

(Maybe I'll copyright DaVinci's "The Last Supper")
        Tom,

You are correct, it is not so much a copyright issue, but it is a "Usage" issue. If this person owns an original image, he has the usage rights to it. So, theoretically, hundreds, if not thousands of people, could own usage rights to an identical image, if it is personally owned by them, and the original creation is over 75 years old.
        However, if this person is the photographer of the artifact, he then would have the copyright of the photograph he took (for 75 years), not the artifact itself.
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

It's regrettable that some of the items do not include any sort of identification or mention of what public or private collections they are from. I'm also wonder if high resolution photos would be available for personal use or research purposes so long as they go unpublished. Guess I'll try to find out...
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I really think some of those images are identical to items included in the Echoes of Glory series and William C. Davis's books. I wonder if this guy was the photographer for those publications.
            ~ Chris Hubbard
            Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
            [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

The lighting used and the colors represented in Mr. Sherer's photographs is fantastic, and I am happy to see a lot of stuff I was previously unaware of. I do recognize some of the uniforms though...I see garments from the MoC, Atlanta History Center, Dean Nelson collection, and I think the Confederate Memorial Hall as well. The western Federal sharpshooter frock on page 3 of the uniforms section was a thrill to see!

I'll post again when I hear back from Mr. Sherer. I asked about private use of photographs for research and reference, and even offered identification of a few images on his "portraits" page.
              Brian White
              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

One item listed under the heading of decorations and ingsignia is attribuated to the Irish 69th Reg. In fact I believe the bottoney cross would have been worn by confederate Maryland Infantry. Then again I could be wrong.

A. Brent Conner
                Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Interesting website but like EoG there are errors in labels.

Image 90/98, Uniforms, last page is not a "Cavalry Jacket", it is a NYS Jacket.
                  Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Yes, I noticed there are a lot of errors in the captions. I would not trust any ID on that site unless you are familiar with the item pictured. Some the of labels are so obvious that a novice could tell the difference: IE: enlisted dress hat badged out for the Regiment of Mounted Rifles identified only as an officer's hat. Either poor record keeping or just plain ignorance.

Paul McKee
                    Paul McKee

Comment

He is the photographer for the "Echoes of Glory" series, that should help cross reference tags from his work to the books., assuming the item was correctly identified in the series.
                      Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

Thank you. Great site . . . warts and all!
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                        X