"Militarized" Country Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Militarized" Country Rifle

This replica rifle started out as a used "Hawken" I bought from a neighbor a few months ago. First, I re-contoured the stock to make it less "St. Louis" and more Burks County, PA, polished and stained. Next, I replaced the modern rear sight and cut a new dovetail slot to move the front sight three inches back. The bluing was removed from the barrel and lock and replaced by browning. The most important change was grinding the muzzle down and adding a lug under the muzzle to fit a Model 1835 US Bayonet. This was copied from one dug at Shiloh and a few others that have survived in museums and private collections. This should be a good rifle for 1861 events, or for a 1864 Georgia Militiaman, for example.

Dave Stieghan
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Re: "Militarized" Country Rifle

Originally posted by DBAR1918 View Post
    This was copied from one dug at Shiloh
    Interesting, does the park have any information on this rifle?
    Jim Kindred

Comment

I think a good Idea, but not a good Idea was to take one of the farbyest Copies of a "Hawken Rifle" The Pistonsocket is an absolute no- go and shows nearly no similarty to any Originalsocket .
      The rear sight is to modern too, I think.

Just my two cents
      Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
      Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
      Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Here are images of militarized country rifles. The rusty one without the stock was dug near Shiloh.

The rear sight I used to replace the stock replica version is a hand-made, period sight. It's been a long time since I served for three years as a young officer in Germany, so my Deutsch fails me. Where is the pistonsocket on a muzzle loading weapon?

Dave
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DBAR1918; 09-14-2010, 04:46 AM.
        David Stieghan
        aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
        Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
        Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

In Flayderman's, Chapter XI, Secondary Military Longarms, pg. 486 (in my 5th Edition),
          He shows and describes a "South Carolina Contract Flintlock Military Rifle".
          These were civilian type Sporting/Country rifles. They could be full stock and half stocked, flint and/or percussion (many being altered to percussion). They usually had their octagon barrels turned round at the muzzle so they could be fitted for socket bayonets to make them more serviceable as Military firearms.
          I have always heard and known these types of firearms as "Nullification Rifles". During the Nullification movement of the 1830's somewhat large numbers of such firearms were purchased and modified in this manner by the State of South Carolina. To a lesser degree, parts Georgia and North Carolina were caught up in this movement as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DBAR1918 View Post
            Here are images of militarized country rifles. The rusty one without the stock was dug near Shiloh.

The rear sight I used to replace the stock replica version is a hand-made, period sight. It's been a long time since I served for three years as a young officer in Germany, so my Deutsch fails me. Where is the pistonsocket on a muzzle loading weapon?

Dave
            O.k. my fault, I mean the nipplesocket.(Is it the right term ? ) On an original Hawken it is very complex made, and badly echoed on the Replika.

Or can you take a new Photo from this area ? The weapon looks like an Investarms- Hawken, Maybe I am wrong

Original:

German Mess

Comment

Charles,

I think I understand what you are referring to.
              In this Country, we refer to this type of breeching system as a "Hooked Breech".
              The barrel and bolster (contain the nipple bolster seat area) are assembled (breeched) as on piece. The tang section is a separate piece and remains attached to the shock.
              This type of arrangement are found most often in civilian Sporting firearms, Rifles, Fowler's, and Side by Side muzzle loading shot guns. They can date back to the end of the 18th Century in this Country.
              It was intended for being able to dismount the barrel (s) for ease of cleaning.
              I hope you find this info helpful,

Comment

Blair,

thats what I mean, thank you for your post !!!!!

German Mess

Comment

Charles,

You are more than welcome.
                  I'm pleased I could offer you help,
                  Last edited by Blair; 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X