ID This Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID This Jacket

About every two or three years I post this picture of my GG Grandfather, Pvt. James Sinclair, of the 7th SC Battalion that was mostly stationed in Charleston, SC from 1861 to 1864. James was mustered in during August of 1861. The 7th SC did travel to the defense of Fort Fisher but it would be unlikely that they would have been issued uniforms in NC since they were not there very long. The coat has 6 buttons and it is cut lower than a shell jacket. Can anyone ID this jacket to any depot?

Respectfully,

Claude Sinclair
    Reenactor Coordinator
    150th Firing on Fort Sumter
    Attached Files
    Claude Sinclair
    Palmetto Battalion

Re: ID This Jacket

My first thoughts are that is it a NC jacket. But that is just me.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

My 2 cents are that it is a NC jacket. If you look at the one in EoG on the same page as the Amzi cap, it is a longer waisted coat. Additionally, I have spoken with Ben Tart about another ID'd NC jacket in a private collection sharing that same characteristic.
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Is that a belt loop on the right side or an illusion caused by the chair or fabric of the jacket body? It's very subtle and seems to be in profile.
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
          Is that a belt loop on the right side or an illusion caused by the chair or fabric of the jacket body? It's very subtle and seems to be in profile.
          It does look like one Brian. That was something I forgot to mention. The ID'd NC Jacket I was referring to HAD belt loops. They were functional and were closed with pressed paper buttons if memory serves.
          V/R
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Claude: As I am sure you are aware, these are often seen on SC soldiers and have belt loops on both sides. Attached is a photo from a back issue of Military Images showing another example. As to their origin, they bear a striking resemblance to the Alfred May jacket in the NCMOH except that the May jacket is BG Kersey and has had extra buttons added. Les Jensen and Ben Tart both believe the May jacket to be of NC manufacture. Your relatives jacket appears to have one piece sleeves similar to NC jackets. And some late war NC jackets show evidence of having had belt loops at one point.

It does look like a duck and quack like one, but . . .
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Claude,
              Pvt. Sinclair would have been one of the unit’s earliest members, as the 7th mustered its first five companies from mid 1861 to January 1862. The trousers appear to match the jacket, which in conjunction with his service record, suggests an early war garment. This photograph may have occurred during the unit’s long garrison period of 1862 to 1864, but I would assume no later than mid 1864. While engaged sparsely prior to this time, the 7th becomes extremely active from April 28th 1864 to May 7th of the following year when they are disbanded. During that time they are attached and detached to elements of ANV and assigned to Wilmington under Bragg. These details would lead me to believe that Pvt. Sinclair’s coat predates the depot system. I think is perfectly reasonable to suspect this coat to have been supplied from the state or local level given its construction and the unit’s service record.

Just my hunch.

Respectfully,
              John Andrews

Comment

It is my opinion that the coat was made during 1861/62 in Charleston and is of satinet. There's references in the Charleston Mercury that satinet and cassimere were being made in Charlotte and Salisbury, NC for jackets. The matching pants also indicate early war. The 7th SC Battalion was briefly at Fort Fisher and it would be unlikely that they would have been issued matching coats and pants from the NC depot system. The 7th seen their most fierce fighting during 1864 when they were deployed to VA. The 7th SC Battalion stayed together and were mustered out after the war at Lancaster (SC) Courthouse. General Hagood still had command of his SC Division at Bentonville. Some unit information that I found (SC Archives) interested that at the battle of Pocotaligo during the fall of 1862 it list that were only one injury to the 7th SC Battalion and that it was James Sinclair who was seriously wounded. Also stated that the 7th was the only infantry battalion in good fighting condition during the assault on Battery Wagner on Morris Island. They did have their flag captured at this battle.
                Claude Sinclair
                Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Working...
                X