Sharps Carbine Sling - Looking for Help:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharps Carbine Sling - Looking for Help:

I once saw a picture of a Sharps Carbine with the butt-stock swivel, and a sling that was manufactured (or improvised) to attach to the swivel at the butt, and then looped over the barrel at the other end. Is anyone aware of a sling of this type being used by the Confederacy during the war? The Robinson Sharps had the butt-stock swivel as well as the carbine ring, and I believe the original photo may have also been of a Robinson Sharps carbine with this type of sling attached. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated, as I cannot seem to locate the photograph. The photo was of the weapon only with the sling on a white background, and was in black and white if I remember correctly. Has anyone seen the photo, or anything like it? I know there is little information on CS carbine slings, either with snap hook or otherwise.

Thanks,

Chris Williams
    Last edited by dcwilliams29id; 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM.

Re: Sharps Carbine Sling - Looking for Help:

There is somewhere a photo of the Spencer used by John Wiles Booth with some sort of arrangement similar to what you are asking about - but that is the wrong gun.
    I have seen Sharps Carbines with the buttstock of the rifle mounted - by who - Bannermans? I don't know. I'll have to look for a photo of a Robinson sharps, didn't know they had the sling swivel on the stock.
    David Stone

Comment

Re: Sharps Carbine Sling - Looking for Help:

Here is a pic of a sling that is very similar to the one I recall seeing. Perhaps a call to the MOC is in order to see if they have seen any slings like this in their collection.

Here is a picture of 2 Richmond Sharps with the sling swivel on the buttstock:

Last edited by dcwilliams29id; 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X