Interior of Confederate Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior of Confederate Jacket

Came across this image at http://loc.gov/pictures/resource/ggbain.13866/ , the reversed white writing at the top reads Rev C Kuhl and his bloodstained jacket. I believethat he served in the 31st Virginia Infantry. Wonder what happened to the jacket?
    Attached Files
    Alan Thrower
    Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
    confederateuniforms.org
    pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
    pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
    pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
    pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Re: Interior of Confederate Jacket

Are those button holes unfinished?
    Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

No I don't think so; if you look at the bottom buttonhole particularly the cloth seems to curve in, which makes me think that there were stitches there originally. Anyway we don't want people to stop doing hand sewn buttonholes on Confederate jackets do we?
      Alan Thrower
      Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
      confederateuniforms.org
      pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
      pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
      pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
      pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
      pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

Went in on the larger file to pull out some detail.
        Attached Files
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Wow!! you can see all the stiches and the construction with Marc's detailed file. Great job.

Brent Conner
          Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Unfortunately, the button holes on his jacket look like all my original 1940s suit coats...totally worn out from use! It happens!
            Scott Cross
            "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Looks like kersey wool.
              "God created Man...Sam Colt made us equal."

Comment

Originally posted by PenPusher View Post
                Wonder what happened to the jacket?
                According to Kuhl's great-grandson, this jacket was donated to Beauvoir and was either destroyed in Katrina or is yet to be rediscovered during the artifact inventory process.

-Craig Schneider
                Craig Schneider

Comment

Film of Kuhl wearing the jacket can be seen between 0:11 and 0:18 here:

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Rich Taddeo and I have been trying to look closely at the images, comparing it to some our our notes, and have noticed it is nearly identical in pattern, materials, and construction to the Alfred May jacket in the North Carolina Museum of History. Three piece body with wide back piece and four piece lining (lining has a seam between the two back pieces while the body has only a single back piece). One piece sleeves, pockets of the same size and shape sewn in the same manner, raw front facings whipped over the body lining which doubles as the interfacing, tapering beltloops sewn in the same place and manner, etc. Not many differences at all--different number of buttons, bottom front is a bit more round on Kuhl's jacket.

Both Kuhl and May served at Petersburg, though I believe May's regiment was back in the Carolinas by the time Kuhl was wounded at Fort Stedman while wearing the jacket.

-Craig Schneider
                  Craig Schneider

Comment

Craig,
                    I'm pretty sure it was a total wash. If it was the jacket on display, or one in the back, it ended up either in trees or out in the Gulf. I say that with this warning though- a flag was reported lost and recently showed up again in the collection. Poor catalog work was/is that sites biggest problem.
                    Patrick Landrum
                    Independent Rifles

Comment

Looks like there might a left-side belt loop sewn to the jacket; note the two rows of stitching below the pocket. The material doesn't appear to be rough b-g kersey but perhaps something a little finer. From what I'm seeing of the visible weave it could be a twill broadcloth or perhaps a satinette. Judging from the 31st Virginia's theaters of operation perhaps it's simply a "Richmond Depot" jacket? Here's some info on Kuhl and his regiment.

Christian C. Kuhl
                      Residence Braxton Co., WV, age 21, 5' 8", light complexion, blue eyes, light hair

Enlisted 5/31/61 at Glendale, VA as private.
                      Mustered in 5/31/61 into Co. D 31st Virginia Infantry.
                      Promoted (no date) 1st Sergeant.

* On rolls 8/15/1861 (place not stated)
                      * Issued clothing 2/15/1863 (place not stated)
                      * On rolls 2/16/1864 Orange County, VA
                      * Issued clothing 3/15/1864 (place not stated)
                      * In command of co. 3/19/1864 (place not stated)
                      * Issued pay 4/30/1864 (place not stated)
                      * Issued clothing 11/15/1864 (place not stated)
                      * Wounded 3/25/1865 Fort Stedman, VA (Wounded in right arm)
                      * POW 3/25/1865 Fort Stedman, VA
                      * Confined 3/26/1865 City Point, VA
                      * Hospitalized 3/27/1865 Steamer "State Of Maine"
                      * Confined 3/28/1865 Washington, DC
                      * Oath Allegiance 6/12/1865 Lincoln General Hospl, DC
                      * Released 6/14/1865 Lincoln General Hospl, DC.

31st Virginia Infantry Assignments

Sep '61 - Nov '61; 1st Brigade, Army of the Northwest

Nov. '61 - Jan. '62; Johnson's Brigade, Jackson's Division, Army of the Northwest

May '62 - June '62; Elzey's Brigade, Ewell's Division, Valley District, Army of Northern Virginia

June '62 - April '63; Elzey's/Early'd/Smith's Brig., Ewell's/Early's Div., 2nd Corps, ANV

April '63 - June '63; Dept. of Northern Virginia

June '63 - Oct. '63; Smith's Brig., Early's/Ramseur's Div., 2nd Corps, ANV.

Oct. '63 - June '64; Pegram's Brig., Early's/Ramseur's Div., 2nd Corps, ANV.

June '64 - Dec. '64; Pegram's Brig., Ramseur's/Pegram's Div., Valley Dist., Dept. of Northern Virgina

Dec. '64 - April '65; Walker's Brig., Pegram's Div., 2nd Corps, ANV
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Although not apparently true of this particular jacket, a story: I practiced law for many years with a WW II veteran born and reared in tidewater Virginia. He recalled in his youth Confederate veterans being buried in their surviving uniforms. This is, of course, the regrettable incentive for modern incidents of grave-robbing.
                        David Fox

Comment

In the You Tube footage the jacket has 1st Sgt rank on - is that Union rank stripes applied? It could be post-war added of course.... I've often wondered how often US rank chevrons may have been 'borrowed' by CS troops. Any information or thoughts?
                          Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

First off, Alan, thanks for sharing the picture and staring the thread. I never knew that picture existed and it really captured my imagination as to what this jacket might be. My heart sank, however, when Craig got that e-mail that the jacket was at Beauvoir when Katrina struck. Then to see the video and as soon as Sgt. Kuhl turned around and get an e-mail from Craig “It’s another “May”, holy !@#$, it’s another “May” jacket.” I mean, the pockets, the princess seams, the three piece outer body, the strange “epaulet” style belt loops, etc. It’s all there. The only difference I see is the facings are larger on the Kuhl jacket and whoever made Sgt. Kuhl’s jacket knew where to put them. The person who made Sgt. May’s jacket was either a novice, REALLY tired, or was drinking at the time.
                            Craig, the 61st NCT arrived back in Wilmington Christmas eve of ’64. So unless he received a jacket from between that time and when the unit was paroled near High Point on May 2, ’65, I would hazard to guess May received his jacket while serving around Richmond. It is possible he had the jacket prior to coming to VA in mid-May of ’64, but I doubt there would have been anything left of that jacket (the interior is in fairly good shape, the rest being moth eaten).
                            Brain, on the May jacket, the belt loops where also topstitched through all layers as well. The remaining fabric on the May is very fine, almost similar in weight to the Gouge jacket. If it were not for the twill weave (it is my understanding that twill is a tell tale of kersey, rather than a plain or tabby weave), it could very well be classified as “broadcloth”. I would think that even a fine grade of satinette would show signs of fraying at the raw edges and wholes. As for your question regarding it being a “Richmond” jacket, that’s what is so fun about this. The question of where these jackets came from will likely never be answered, but it would be a blast to try and find out.
                            Rich Taddeo
                            Shocker Mess
                            "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

I thought the patch pockets were interesting and agree with Dan that it is a "RD" issue jacket. You just never know!
                              V/R
                              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X