1st Regiment NC Union Vol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Regiment NC Union Vol.

My unit has recently decided to put together a Federal impression to represent a company of men from the 1st Regiment NC Union Vols. I have been scouring my University's library but unfortunately I haven't come up with anything specifically on the 1st or even much on Unionism in the Eastern part of the state (the regiment was formed in the eastern part of the state after Gen. Burnside captured New Burn and much of Eastern NC). My question is does anybody have any suggestions on sources I could use to get a sense of the uniform and equipment these men would have been issued? It would make sense to simply say they were fitted out with the regulation dark blue sack coat, sky blue trousers, and standard 1862 accouterments. However, I would like to make sure before moving to such a bold conclusion. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Brad Heath

Re: 1st Regiment NC Union Vol.

Sir, try this "link", and "here", as may be of some help.

Here is a photograph of Private James Daniel Boyd, Co. A, 1st Regiment N.C. Union Volunteers.

Good luck with your units impression.
    Last edited by yeoman; 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM. Reason: additional URL
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Brad,

You probably have this information already but I'll post it anyway for anyne else who may find it interesting/useful.

Page 64, Lincoln’s Loyalists: Union Soldiers from the Confederacy by Richard Nelson Current:

General Ambrose E. Burnside, with a large amphibious expedition, succeeded in taking Roanoke Island in February and New Bern in March 1862. On reaching the mainland, the Union officers found ample confirmation of the rumored loyalism. “The hearts of the people of North Carolina are not with the rebels; the woods and swamps are full of refugees fleeing from the terror of conscription,” Commodore S.C. Rowan reported from New Bern. “The people say they won’t fight us, and I they must fight it will be on our side.”

Burnside soon decided to enlist such men as were available. “I have authorized the organization of the First North Carolina Union Volunteers,” he wrote from his New Bern headquarters to the Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton on May 5, 1862. “The movement was initiated by the Union men in and about Washington [N.C.], and I have encouraged it to the extent of feeding, clothing, and arming.”

Mr. Current’s source:
      Wayne K. Durrill, War of Another Kind: A Southernm Community in the Great Rebellion (New York: Oxford University Press, 1990. Pp. 43-44, 53-56, 67.
      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Also, from the website - http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncuv/ncuv.htm

There is a recruiting poster which clearly says:

"Their pay, clothing, rations, equipments and allowances will be in all respects similar to those of
        the United States Volunteers." Edward E. Potter, Col. Com'g 1st N.C. U. Vols. Sept. 5, 1862

Nice website with alot more information.
        Cheers,
        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Usually all non-colored and colored units started out as volunteer then were made US regulars.
          Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 11-01-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: new text
          Thomas J. Alleman
          "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Thank you for all the comments. I have been on the site Mr. Hadden provided. I feel as though these men would have been wearing the regulation sack coat, etc., when fighting in the field. By the way, Mr. Alleman, do you think these troops would have acquired dark blue trousers or would have been left with sky blue trousers? Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Brad Heath

Comment

Working...
            X