1st Maryland US, uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Maryland US, uniform

I'm looking for any information that might be out there about the 1st Maryland US uniform and equipment, early in the war particuarlly when they were active along the Potomac in the Fall/Winter of 61-62. After doing a search on here and online, I came up with nothing so I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I'm sure it was pretty "typical" but they may be some specifics out there. Thanks!
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Re: 1st Maryland US, uniform

Frederick Todd states Maryland published no dress regulations during the 1850s...according to one account, the only distinction (from U.S. regulation) were the letters 'MM' instead of 'US' on caps and hats" of "higher officers" and "some companies outside of Baltimore". "The volunteer forces raised for the war wore U.S. regulation clothing." Todd lists a 1st infantry regiment ("1st Independant Guards") armed with Enfields in 1862, a "1st Regiment, Potomac Home Brigade", and a "1st Regiment Eastern Shore" who, in 1862, toted M.1842 smoothbore muskets.
    One recognizes this is of little help to your specific request, but it is made to appear your supposition of regular U.S. clothing and accoutrement issue for the unit under consideration is correct. That leaves a hole to be filled by more specific information...does "U.S. issue" in 1861 include frocks or sack coats, or both; caps or Hardee hats or both; sky- or dark blue trousers or both, etc.
    David Fox

Comment

Re: 1st Maryland US, uniform

David, thanks for the help.
      For clarification I am specifically looking for the 1st Maryland Infantry, not the 1st MD Potomac Home Brigade, and or Eastern Shore Regiment. Although information on any Maryland unit during this time frame would be helpful. Yes, what does U. S. issue mean? I understand the 3rd MD wore the Regulation Dress hat hat instead of the forage cap during this time frame. I suppose another question is since this is a Federal regiment if you were portraying them should everyone be dressed alike or is some variation; say frocks and sacks in the same company acceptable?
      Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
      Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
      5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Working...
      X