"Soldier's Bible" - Steel Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Soldier's Bible" - Steel Cover?

So I've been looking into pocket bibles and would like to have one in my haversack or pack. I recently came across a few online that had steel covers and were advertised as "Soldiers" bibles (?). One was listed as having been from 1816, though that appeared to be the date of the publishing company, not that actual publication year. If anyone has knowledge of these metal covered bibles, I'd sure appreciate some helpful information.

Some searching around and I discovered similar items from the WWII era, with "May the Lord be with You" - but what of earlier periods?

-Sam Dolan
    Last edited by guad42; 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM. Reason: Computer messing with my words or excluding portions of what I type. Darn computer.
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: "Soldier's Bible" - Steel Cover?

I'm aware of there existance at least in the Civil War, as the Atlanta History Center has one on display and at least one other in collections. The WWI and WWII ones are usually marked as you mentioned, and the earlier ones that I've viewed are just plain, usually plated tin or plated brass (much like matchsafes). I've seen one advertisement for them in the back of a Cincinnatti newspaper dated August 1861, but that is the only time I've seen a contemporary reference. All of them that I have seen have Union provenance.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Re: "Soldier's Bible" - Steel Cover?

Thanks Ross. I've been in the market for a small bible for my kit and have been seeing what's out there. Some prices get pretty high. Some people are advertising the clearly 1940s bibles as something they are not.

-Sam Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

Working...
      X