Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepi Sweatband Leather?

Greetings all,

I am trying to learn more about the leather used for sweatbands in Kepis and forage caps. Namely what is the stuff, and where do I buy it?

I performed a forum search here with no results. Tried a Google search with no results. Consulted the Columbia Rifles Compendium and learned the government placed orders for "sheep skin moroccan", a google search of same led to bookbinding sites with astronomical prices.

My Dirty Billy private purchase forage cap has a fine example of the material, so I know what it should be. Just not what to call it or where to find it.

Thank you in advance,

Brian Morse
    Auch ein blindes Huhn findet mal ein Korn

Re: Kepi Sweatband Leather?

I know Tim Bender used to sell them, although not highly advertised. Another member of my unit bought 2 from him awhile back, I want to say for $5 each. Its basically leather that is "thinned", similar to books of the period that were bound with a leather "wrap". I have an 1862 Bible that has this leather "wrap". A good idea of the process is on Duvall's homepage. You could always contact Dirty Billy to see if he sells them on the side too.

Just my thoughts

Mike Barnes
    44th VA / 25th OH
    Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
    44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I have always used bookbinding leather, it is thin and comes in a variety of colors and finishes. You will have to look at an original to try to match it, since there is a wide variety of colors and finishes used during the Civil War, depending on the maker, style, etc.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by brimorse View Post
        My Dirty Billy private purchase forage cap has a fine example of the material, so I know what it should be.
        Brian,

No offense meant to Dirty Billy, but it is preferable to look to original examples as the standard to compare modern materials against rather than other reproductions.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
          I have always used bookbinding leather, it is thin and comes in a variety of colors and finishes. You will have to look at an original to try to match it, since there is a wide variety of colors and finishes used during the Civil War, depending on the maker, style, etc.
          Thank you for your message Scott.

I guess I wasn't too far off the mark at those bookbinding sites! I am a far cry from a leather expert and thus needed a little guidance...

Best regards,

Brian Morse

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
            Brian,

No offense meant to Dirty Billy, but it is preferable to look to original examples as the standard to compare modern materials against rather than other reproductions.

Paul McKee
            Greetings Paul,

Thank you for your message, and I agree with you 100%.

I plan to travel to Indiana later this winter to (hopefully) view the Kepi in question. I was hoping to determine sources for the leather so I knew where to look once I knew exactly what I needed. The Dirty Billy cap was all I had at hand at the time!

Best regards,

Brian Morse

Comment

Brian,With out much commentary - name-Upholstery Leather -price-about- $4.00 sq,ft. regards Conley Sluss

Comment

Thank you Conley! I appreciate the tip, I will check it out.

Brian Morse

Comment

Thank you Conley! I appreciate the tip, I will check it out.

Brian Morse

Comment

Working...
                  X