1861 Lorenz ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Lorenz ?

I have a Lorenz with 861 stamped on the lockplate. It appears to have been bored to .58 caliber from .54.
    It was stated in another thread that there is not an 1861 Lorenz. I am now curious to know what I have.
    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom Dodson
    Tom Dodson

Re: 1861 Lorenz ?

Austrian Lorenz's were manufactured originally in .54 caliber. A good many of them were re-bored to .58 once they arrived in the states to accept the then current standard caliber of ammunition. What you have is a re-bored Model 1854 Austrian Lorenz that was manufactured in 1861.
    [I][FONT="Garamond"]Jaime George
    5th Virginia, Company A
    Stonewall Brigade

"I'm doing much better, now that I've given up hope..."[/FONT][/I]

Comment

You have a M1854 Lorenz made in 1861. Keep in mind that there is also a M1862 Lorenz with a lock that is similar in pattern to that of the British Enfield Rifle Musket.
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

The key difference is in the shape of the "snail" of the bolster and how it fits to the lock plate (if I understand correctly):

Here are two pics for comparison from Mess'r Tim Prince's website:
        M1854
        M1862
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The reason for my question was that, in another thread, I understood Mr. Craig Berry to say that there was no such animal as a 1861 Lorenz. I could have misunderstood Mr. Berry. It has happened before.
          As a side note, if there is any interest, this fully functional Lorenz with a very strong lock spring and an original bayonet in good condition with proper markings could be for sale. The price, including bayonet and scabbard made by MB&S would be $700. Shipping not included. There is what has been described as a "green wood" crack along the toe of the stock. It does not appear to affect the structural integrity of the piece. If any interest, I could probably learn how to post pictures.
          If this is now in the wrong location, Mods feel free to do your thing.
          Tom Dodson
          McDonough, Ga
          Tom Dodson

Comment

Working...
          X