Ammo Boxes in Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Boxes in Camp

So, this has been bugging me and I can't seem to get an answer so here goes:

It is my understanding that ammo crates had the year (and possibly the month) of manufacture stenciled onto the box before it was sent out. Now, does anyone know how long said ammunition would be in a warehouse / depot before going to the field? Does it "keep" in storage or is it extreamly prone to damage? If your impression is say circa 1864 would it be correct to have ammo boxes labled 1862 or 1863 in camp? Thanks
    Jeff Dunwoody
    Pvt. Thomas Sears Cadenhead, Company "C" 11th Texas Infantry
    My Great Great Grandfather

Delta Company 1-185th Armor OIF VII

Re: Ammo Boxes in Camp

Good morning,

I cannot answer for how long ammo would have been in storage prior to being issued. In general, if well made, the rounds are not overly fragile (I live fire period style rounds from flintlocks, .58 Springfield/Enfields and also Sharps breechloaders). Sharps are the most fragile of the three, but they were in period also, and from what I've read were packed in pasteboard boxes (as opposed to paper wrappers) to help protect them. Some of what I shot last week was manufactured over a year ago, and it performed fine. Note however, I store my rounds in a modern .50 can with desiccant.

Respectfully,
    Calum Munro
    Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
    www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
    http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Stout pine boxes preserved Civil War small arms ammunition in shootable condition well into the 20th Century. During wartime, issue of ammunition is beset by vagaries; first boxed isn't necessarily first through the pipeline and first issued-out. I've got a box stencilled ".577 CAL." and "1863" on display in our Hendersonville museum that survived the last two Civil War years intact, likely to be broken open by Barrerman in the WW I era to salvage the bullet lead and reuse the wooden crates as shipping containers. The chair-side table in my library is a large crate once containing eight second fuzes also dated 1863, overhauled in 1871. I steamed off a 20th Century shipping label. Gluts of certain types of ammo occur. At Fort Sill in 1967 we were still shooting-up on the range WW II and Korean War 105 howitzer rounds yet were very short of other munitions. So: wooden ammunition crates originating with either army on any date earlier than that depicted would be appropriate camp furniture and eye candy. Naturally, once camp moved, these boxes would most often be last utilized as firewood.
      David Fox

Comment

Thats the answer I was hoping for. Making multiple boxes to fit the scenario would soon become a burden. Having one or two with earlier dates will seem to fit the role just fine. Thanks again for the information.
        Jeff Dunwoody
        Pvt. Thomas Sears Cadenhead, Company "C" 11th Texas Infantry
        My Great Great Grandfather

Delta Company 1-185th Armor OIF VII

Comment

Working...
        X