Colt's Model Springfield Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt's Model Springfield Rifle

Several years back, Colt manufactured several weapons in their "Signature Series" which were great (and highly priced) re-issues of many of their Civil War time framed weapons. I stumbled across a used one for a good deal and picked it up and was wondering if anyone had an original Colt made Springfield and would be willing to post a few pictures so I could contrast/compare and see what work needs to be done. I have been looking online for pictures and haven't come up with much. I'm especially interested in seeing the lock, the opposite side of the lock, any stock stamps, and the rear sight. Your help is much appreciated. I will try and post pictures of the new rifle as soon as I can.

Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Re: Colt's Model Springfield Rifle

For online pics, I would try:

Rock Island Auctions
    James D. Julia Auctions

These have been discussed before, but there aren't any threads really "dedicated" to the Colt Signature Series muskets.
    Here's a thread on US "'61's" in general

In general, issues to be corrected include:
    - That doggone signature!
    - Anemic hammer that could be replaced with an orginal.
    - Rivet the sling swivels
    - General "Xth Generation Xerox Copy" issues that are common among repro muskets.

I don't think a Colt (or Chattahoochie BPA) repro SM 1861 will ever be a "replica", but you can correct some basic issues and end up with a good representation, depending upon the severity of one's OCD. ;)
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

That is probably the kindest rendition of the current "signature series" of Colt Special Models I think I have heard!

Comment

I also have one of the Colt special model repros and pics of a few originals for comparison and they are nearly identical. I'll send them to you in an email.
        The only problem for me, besides the signature on the bottom of the triggerguard, is that the lock is dated 1861 when apparently the earliest the Colt special models were dated was 1862. I'm hesitant to get it changed to 1862 because of the whole "collector's piece" feel to it but since I will never sell it, it makes more sense to fix it for my own tastes.
        Other than that, I'm happy with it and it shoots great.
        Last edited by KPavia; 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM.
        Kenny Pavia
        24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Blair View Post
          That is probably the kindest rendition of the current "signature series" of Colt Special Models I think I have heard!
          'Tis the season for kindness, I guess. ;)

I tried to keep it in the spirit of Curt's "Your mileage may vary" with my comment on OCD. My OCD is an extreme case, considered by several experts to be incurable. Such being the case, Colt's "Colt" just won't work for me.

Happy New Year
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

John,

The Colt's "Colt Specials" in any variant, simply don't work for me either.

You too have a Happy New Year

Comment

Hallo!

Yup, and nope fo rme too. (Hasd two, and sold them off.)

Herr Blair probably remembers the story better than I, but originally, the first production prototypes were made by an N-SSA lad. For a number of reasons at the time, notably higher costs and lack of demand, it died on the vine.

Somewhat later, IMHO, likely for the costs and increased profitability, Colt revisited it and added the (Italian made) SM1861 to their Signature Line.

Sometime after, they (the three versions of the SM1861) "resurfaced' as Italian versions sold by Chatthoochie and somebody else (who went out of business).

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

You are correct.
                The explanation is almost to complex to keep it all simple.
                Pre 1983/4 examples of the Colt Specials were indeed being sponsored by Colt, and they were trying to make all of them in America. This failed, due to economics of the time period.
                What has derived from this effort is the Italian made Chatthoochie Arms Co. equivelent, known as the Colt Signature Series.
                Remember, Buying a "Colt" does not mean you are buying an actual Colt or the original Colt quality.
                Just a word of warning on my part, be happy with what you buy.

Comment

Guess what it actually is? An Armi Sport US 1863 (910.026 in the A-C catalog) with a few cosmetic changes.
                  The lock parts actually interchange with the Armi Sport Enfield. In case you were wondering who made it
                  for Colt Blackpowder, which is not really part of Colt firearms either.

It is representative of Armi Chiappa (Armi Sport) products, and neither better or worse. They sell for a premium
                  price though. If you got a good price on it, that's you what have. An Armi Sport product.
                  Craig L Barry
                  Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                  Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                  Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                  Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Either way, Colt slapping its name on it makes it a colt just like all those nike shoes made in China or new balance shoes made in Vietnam.

Is anyone going to actually answer the point of the thread or is this just a get off topic colt bash? With all due respect to people here, the guy asked for pictures of originals, not for an continueous identical explanations on the modern repros of "colt special models."
                    Last edited by KPavia; 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM.
                    Kenny Pavia
                    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Good Point Kenny.
                      Let me suggest buying "The Rifled Musket" by Claud E. Fuller.
                      There are close up Photos of all three Colt type variances in both production models along with '61's and '63's.
                      It is actually amazing what one can glean from these antiquated, out of date, obsolete books.

Comment

Everyone,
                        I'm no newbie here, so any and all criticism/thoughts are fine. I got the gun for dirt cheap, and if nothing else, it will be a fun project to overhaul. It's missing the box and the accessories that came with it, but it's never been fired and I got it for $300 in store credit at the gun store I work at for fun on weekends, so I'm not exactly emotionally invested in it. Kenny, thank you for the pictures you've offered to send, and John, thanks for the specifics to look for. My issue is I've spent 20 years looking at original Enfields and not much time looking at Springfields. (I'm originally from England and strongly biased...)
                        Kind Regards,
                        Andrew Jerram

Comment

Hallo!

Thank you Moderator Pavia.

IMHO, there is added value in information and discussions beyond the narrow intent of the original question for any or all AC members to glean.

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You shall find pics here:

Enjoy!
                            John Wickett
                            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

More pics:
                              Civil War Colt Model 1861 Special Rifle-MusketThis is an example of a U.S. Contract Colt Model 1861 Special Rifle-Musket manufactured in 1864. Colt manufactured at least 75,000 Model 1861 Special Rifle-Muskets between 1861 and 1865. The musket has the distinctive hammer, bolster without clean-out hole and screw-fastened barrel bands. The musket is finished "National Armory Bright" and has an oiled, black walnut, stock. The musket has a straight-shank, tulip head ramrod and blued, two-leaf, folding rear sight. The lock plate is dated "1864" behind the hammer and is marked : "U.S./COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO/ HARTFORD CT" in front of it. The bolster is stamped with an Eagle and Shield motif. The top barrel flat is dated "1864" and the left side of the barrel is stamped with "V/P/Eagle Head" proof and inspection marks. The left flat is stamped with the Ordnance sub-inspector's initials "V.P.P." followed by "STEEL". Script Ordnance inspection and sub-inspection marks are stamped on the left stock flat. The heel of the buttplate is stamped "U.S." and most components are stamped with a small, single letter, sub-inspection mark.

Colt Model 1861 Special Rifle-Musket with BayonetThis excellent Colt Model 1861 Special Rifle-Musket was manufactured in 1863. The barrel lock and furniture are 'National Armory Bright' and the three-leaf, folding rear sight is blued. The black walnut stock has an oil-finish. The musket has the distinctive hammer, bolster with no provision for a clean-out hole, screw-fastened barrel bands and straight shank steel ramrod with tulip head. The lock plate is dated "1863" behind the hammer and roll-stamped: " U.S./COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. Co./HARTFORD CT." in three lines ahead of it, The bolster is stamped with an eagle and shield motif. The top of the barrel is dated '1863" and the left flat is stamped with "V/P/Eagle Head" proof and inspection marks. "STEEL" and a small "F" sub-inspection mark are stamped on the lower left barrel flat just above the edge of the stock. "U.S." is stamped on the heel of the buttplate. Small, single letter, sub-inspector marks are visible on nearly every component. The left stock flat is stamped with the scrip initials of the Ordnance final inspector and sub-inspector in oval cartouches. The sub-inspector mark "M.M.J." is stamped on the comb of the stock near the buttplate. The musket is complete with a "U.S." marked socket bayonet with 18-inch fluted blade.

Exceptional U.S. Colt Model 1861 Special Rifle-MusketColt was given a contract to supply 112,500 of these 1861 Pattern muskets to the Union army. Colt delivered 75,000 between 1861 and 1865. The musket is finished 'National Armory Bright'. The barrel bands and hammer have a high polish finish. The other components have a duller finish with less polish. The rear sight, trigger and percussion nipple are blue and the stock is oil-finished walnut. The lock has a National Eagle and Shield on the bolster and is marked "U.S. / COLT'S Pt F.A. Mfg Co / HARTFORD Ct" ahead of the hammer. The rear of the lock plate is dated "1863". The top of the barrel is dated "1863" at the breech plug and the left barrel flat is stamped with "V / P / Eagle Head" proof marks parallel to the bore. The left side of the barrel is stamped with a small "F" followed by "STEEL" just above the junction with the stock. Blade front sight on a square base which doubles as a bayonet lug and folding two leaf rear sight with an "H" stamped on the left side of the base. The bottom of the trigger guard is stamped with the letter "M". The buttplate tang is marked "U.S." with a small "J" ahead of the marking. The left stock flat is stamped with two crisp Ordnance and Sub-ordnance script inspection cartouches in rectangular boxes behind the rear lock screw and the top of the comb directly ahead of the buttplate tang is stamped with a "J". Complete with the correct iron ram rod with tulip head.

John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X