Colt's Model Springfield Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colt's Model Springfield Rifle

Nice photos of the one from Heritage Auctions - thanks for posting the link John. Interesting, when someone took it apart to clean or replace something they put the barrel bands on differently - you can see in the pics how the 'U' is reversed on the middle and lower band.
    Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
    [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Typing in "Colt Special Rifle Musket" into your favorite search engen will yield a surprising amount of information on these arms.
      Not only the history and evolution of the "Special" series of firearms, but a great many photos of originals.
      Pretty fascinating stuff if your into the history and evolution of firearms within the period.
      If not... well its a lot like watching paint dry, grass grow or chrome bumpers rust!
      This is not an area of interest to me, but I would also imagine the same kind of information if you typed in "Colt M-1861 Signature Series".

Comment

Hi Andrew, I bought one of these when they first came out in the early 90's as it was something different and the unit I portrayed was issued a fair number of these early on. Probably paid too much, but at least I got a "deal", so the pain is a little less. Have noticed that they frequently sell for over $850, way too much. You got a good deal and can easily make the musket better. I concur with the other guys in that it's just another reasonably decent modern repro, not worth the hoopla and premium price for the Colt name.
        Mine is my reenactment gun and it does fine. Just keep the channel in the bolster clean, it seems to cake up pretty fast. A new nipple with a wider hole opening at the bottom helps a bit. Shot it live a few years back and it was a foot high and had mediocre groups offhand. Could have been operator error.
        To get it "authentic", the first thing you need to do is get rid of the hammer, at least it makes an interesting paperweight. An original will fit but may require a little coke can shim work, the tumblers are not milled straight/true and it will wobble a wee bit. Next file down and shape the goofy oversized bolster. Fix the TG rivet, and file off the other goofy markings. You can also replace the barrel bands with better fitting originals and even replace the whole trigger bow. If you have an early polywolly finished stock, you'll need to strip it down and give it the linseed oil treatment. Fixing the lock date would be a bit more work, I'm just leaving mine as is.
        Those are some great pictures on the thread!

Charles Pinkham
        Company D, Minnesota First

Lincoln, Lovejoy, and Abolition!

Comment

Working...
        X