Seldan Shirt Fabric ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seldan Shirt Fabric ?

Seldan Shirt Fabric ? -Looking to reproduce the Pin Striped pattern of the Saldan shirt . Any one have a full size scan of the pin striped patten ? Looking to silk screen print it ? As I see it an Authentic copy of the fabric is the reason more shirts are not made. All Input on this project are welcome. Mod's if post out on line -please remove it. regards Conley Sluss

Re: Seldan Shirt Fabric ?

Try Voldermort........... I mean N$. He has the fabric on his site.

Comment

joey- not looking to buy-looking to make -thanks for your input Conley Sluss

Comment

SO wait, you want to silk screen a fabric that is already available from someone for sale?
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
          SO wait, you want to silk screen a fabric that is already available from someone for sale?

AND was a woven-in stripe in the original, not a silk screen stripe.......oh, and done on a period closed selvedge fabric. That selvedge edge is utilzed in the construction of the shirt as well. Those properly woven edges are a bear to locate and purchase these days.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

AND was a woven-in stripe in the original, not a silk screen stripe.......oh, and done on a period closed selvedge fabric. That selvedge edge is utilzed in the construction of the shirt as well. Those properly woven edges are a bear to locate and purchase these days.
            Spinster - Thank You for your more Lady like
            and educational reply on the fabric as it is a woven-in not a print. As to print it will only be a non authentic copy ! regards Conley Sluss
            Last edited by Conley; 01-01-2011, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Everyone wave goodbye to Mr. Sluss as his account mysteriously dissappears.
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Question regarding the Seldon shirt:

Would the broad arrow have been added when the garment was completed, or after it was accepted by the British Army?

Thank You,

Dan "and now for the last name" Limb

PS Thanks for the heads up, Silas!

DL

Dan, you need to sign your full name to your posts as required by the forum rules which can be viewed here : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...w_faq_item1998 Using your name as your forum ID does not satisfy the rule. - Silas Tackitt, one ob de mods.
                Last edited by Dan Limb; 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: Signature violation
                Dan Limb
                One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
                James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Limb View Post
                  Would the broad arrow have been added when the garment was completed, or after it was accepted by the British Army?
                  From examining the stamps on the shirt, it appears that the maker's stamp and the broad arrow were done with two different inks. That may be an indication of the broad arrow being added later, but I know little about how British military contracts worked and couldn't say for certain.

-Craig Schneider
                  Craig Schneider

Comment

Jim,

I can't help with the cloth, but I do know Ted Quednau, and myself to a lesser degree, studied the original a number of times in preperation for his making some. He has excellent notes on the shirt as well as had made spot on replcas. If you need tips, contact him.

Steve Acker

Comment

Voldermort! Lol,
                      I have seen ************* fabric and it's an outstanding reproduction! Now, if I had a good pattern for the British army shirt I'd buy some of *********** fabric and make one.
                      Last edited by 4VADRUMMER; 01-07-2011, 01:12 AM.
                      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                      Handsome Company Mess
                      Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over generalize...

Yes, the British "broad arrow" was the mark of acceptance. A parrallel being 3rd and 4th Model Enfields with the arrow as being "government" guns.
                        NUG (normally, usually, generally) a broad arrow denotes British government property while the absence denotes "trade" (commercial) sales. However "no longer serviceable" or "obsolete" government stuff, especially say lock or barrels with stamps did not have them removed before sale as it would have spoiled the finish.

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                          Hallo!

In brief and to over generalize...

Yes, the British "broad arrow" was the mark of acceptance. A parrallel being 3rd and 4th Model Enfields with the arrow as being "government" guns.
                          NUG (normally, usually, generally) a broad arrow denotes British government property while the absence denotes "trade" (commercial) sales. However "no longer serviceable" or "obsolete" government stuff, especially say lock or barrels with stamps did not have them removed before sale as it would have spoiled the finish.

Curt
                          Thank you! I was wondering about that as it would seem that the shirts may have been purchased directly from the British Government rather than by government contractors (ie Peter Tait) if they already had the broad arrow and "WD" stamped. Granted, that may too be an overgeneralization, but it could be a possibility.

Records seem to point out that quantities numbers of these shirts made it through to Confederate stocks. Given that they could have been obsolete shirts (much like the US Army DRMO of later eras), would they striped "ammunition shirts" have been liquidated to make room for the next generation of army shirts?

YHS.

Dan Limb
                          Dan Limb
                          One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
                          James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

Working...
                          X