British Import Haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British Import Haversacks

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I came across this while researching various wartime haversack patterns. I am the one who purchased one of John Henry Kurtz's haversacks from his 2008 auction. I had assumed that this haversack was a private purchase or contract variant. I am now convinced that this is a British import that was painted and modified with a closure buckle for US use.

Regarding the question about dug examples of the hardware, yes, I have seen the brass loops dug out of the Brandy Station camps. See my writeup in the "Incoming" section of North South Trader vol 37, #1, where I compare some dug brass hardware to my haversack.
    Eric Champigny

Comment

The south had no need to import haversacks. Boots, yes. Ready made accoutrements (especially early), yes. The south could easily manufacture simple cotton bags. Why spnd money on an item like that?
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

And yet, previous posters have cited evidence to the contrary. The brass hardware in question was dug out of a Federal winter camp. I would contend that they were imported by the North. If there is another accoutrement with those exact brass loops, I would like to see it. Any examples?
        Eric Champigny

Comment

Originally posted by echamp6165 View Post
          And yet, previous posters have cited evidence to the contrary. The brass hardware in question was dug out of a Federal winter camp. I would contend that they were imported by the North. If there is another accoutrement with those exact brass loops, I would like to see it. Any examples?
          I'm not saying they weren't imported but they were in a small number. Most of the ready made acoutrements and in come cases full sets were purchased early. Later on, the bulk of the imports were raw materials after the CS QM system had the infrastructure to manufacture goods. I don't have Entrepot handy, but Huse made some "package deals" early on where " everything" a soldier needed was included. There was some inconsistency with invoicing (which is why Colin McCrae was sent over) that put a stop to the package purchases.

I'm not disputing that some english haversacks were bought and run through the blockade, I just think it was a very small number and it was fairly early on or bought by private speculators.

It should also be noted that not all military goods run through the blockade were Cs of State purchases. Speculators often purchased military goods and auctioned them off to private purchasers or sold them retail.

From p. 75 of Entrepot: On April 2, 1863 the Market St (Wilmington) Dry goods establishment of Loeb& Bros. advertised the availability of english army overshirts, "the regulation gray cap", india rubber blankets, english oil cloth overcoats, english army haversacks, and "the finest lot of felt hats in the confederacy".
          Last edited by FloridaConscript; 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Edit to the original post. Just received some information about the 1860/65 pattern British haversack that looks like the Heritage Auctions haversacks. From what I read, the only difference between the two is the addition of a button to the back of the 1865 pattern haversack to allow it to be folded up when empty.

I don't have any of the official records or information, but I have read and photos show of course, that some New England troops were issued with English accoutrements that were captured from Blockade Running ships. I wonder what the chances are that these haversacks might have been part of that booty? If so, then I would believe that would point to the 1860 style of British haversack as the one being imported to the Confederacy through the blockade.
            Last edited by teufelhund; 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM.
            ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

On the topic of dug-up brass hardware possibly from this type of haversack, there is a need to be aware that WWI American gas mask bag strap adjusters are a bit similar, enough to add some confusion to the issue. The gas mask bags likely made great shooting bags after War One, and it makes sense that some of their brass could have ended up in the woods to be found by relic hunters.

On eBay now, are a few dug WWI gas mask bag adjusters mixed in with other CW-ish brass fittings. As close comparison with the ones on the Kurtz example under discussion show them to be quickly distinquishable, however. I suppose one must be mindful of the possibility of period variation of the British-like ones, as well.

Regards...
              Dean Nelson
              1st MD Infantry, CSA-NSSA

Comment

Working...
              X