Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharps carbine question

Howdy all,
    I have 4 IAB 1963 Sharps carbines and I noticed that there are 2 different barrel lengths used. One has a barrel 22 inches long and the others are 21.5 inches long. I am aware that this brand is not exactly known for their quality............but I was really surprised at the differences in the length of the barrels.My question is what length was a origional Sharps carbine barrel and why would IAB make 2 different lengths? I cant see why they would allow a half inch difference, unless they dont care and are just being basicly cheap.
    Respectfully, John Rogers

Re: Sharps carbine question

"Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms" by Norm Flayderman or "Sharps Firearms" by Frank Sellers will have all the answers.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

The Sharps NM 1859 and NM1863 Carbines had 22 inch barrels.

This was not always the case, as the M1853 had a 21 1/2 inch, while the Sharps M1855 U. S. Carbine had a 21 3/4 inch barrel.

Regarding the Italians and reproductions, the short answer is "As long as we buy what they offer, in large numbers, however right or bogus- there is no incentive to change."
      And for every person who knows and cares about the diferences, there are 999 who do not.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

.500 !? Dont they have calipers in Italy!? :confused_ To much grapa on the lunch break I geuss.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Immer Nein...

Otherwise their Sharps would be the correct .52 calibre and not .54...
          ;-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Die Scharfschuetzener Messe
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
          X