Drum Straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Straps

I have two questions for any drummer to help me out with. #1: Were drum straps worn most commonly around the neck only,or around the neck and under the arm??#2:For some reason, the wooden peice that attaches my
    drum strap to the drum is fastened with modern screws.What were they
    attached with in the 1860's ?
    Ian Broadhead
    musician,5th Tx. co.A
    Medich Battalion
    Ian Broadhead
    Liberty Rifles
    " Lee's Miserables"

Re: Drum Straps

Ian,
    As far as slings are concerned, the quick answer would be both were used, but one style was much more prevelant than the other. Most CW era drummers used an issue sling, which was of white cotton webbing and worn over the neck with an adjustable leather front piece, and affixed to the “carry” mounted on the drum itself. The “over the shoulder” style you brought up was common in the 18th Century, especially with the British Army and Colonial Militia; they were adjustable and commonly made of buff leather or cotton webbing, and many had either leather or brass loops mounted to carry sticks. Many CW musicians used this sling, but not the majority. As far as the carry is concerned, once again, there were various styles and depended on who made the drum. Most were single cast bronze pieces, shaped as an oval, hook or “D-ring.” Because they were cast as one piece, some could be individually mounted (screwed) in the center of the batter hoop, while others were affixed around the batter hoop, and had leather keepers which could be tacked into place.
    [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
    [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Re: Drum Straps

Ian,

The over the shoulder was mainly used by British. The issued strap for the civil war era was the "around the neck" strap. It was, as said below, webbing with an adjustable strap. Hope this helps.

Brad Clay
      Percussion Dept.
      Ohio University School of Music
      Bradley E. Clay
      The Broadside Mess

Comment

Working...
      X