Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCT Soldier Image - Found in Missouri

All,

Check out this image being sold on ebay. This is a great image. It appears that a few extra props were added by the photographer. Notice the pistol in the soldier's hand and the gauntlets. At the same time he is holding a musket at order arms.

Mark White
    MountedRifle
    Last edited by MountedRifle; 02-22-2004, 09:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Mark C. White[/FONT]

Re: USCT Soldier Image - Found in Missouri

Wow - I cannot remember ever seeing an image quite like this. The gauntlets are an interesting addition. Wonder if his Captain lent him a few items for the photograph? An earnest young face of a soldier ready to fight for his freedom and Union. I hope he lived to see it.

Thanks for sharing Mark!
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Nice image. It looks like his musket has quite a patina. Looks like he has some work to do once he is done getting his image struck. I like how he has his collar rolled.

Now get to work on that musket kid. :sarcastic
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I like it.You can see the inoccencts in his eyes.This is the first image I've ever seen of a USCT wearing a slouch hat.If I had the money,I'd bid on it,but since I don't I'll have to make a copy,:D.
        Cullen Smith
        Bluegrass Rifles
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Robert, please don't take this as criticism but I have had this discussion before and I wanted an opinion of someone who has looked at more pictures than I.

How can you tell about the state of his barrel from this picture? Based on the position of the bands and the bayonet, as well as his position at "order arms", the barrel would be facing his rear, no?

Thanks for any hints you can provide for photo research.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

It looks like he has his accoutrements reversed. Scabbard on his right and cap pouch and box on the left.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27
              Robert, please don't take this as criticism but I have had this discussion before and I wanted an opinion of someone who has looked at more pictures than I.

How can you tell about the state of his barrel from this picture? Based on the position of the bands and the bayonet, as well as his position at "order arms", the barrel would be facing his rear, no?

Thanks for any hints you can provide for photo research.
              Dusty

This how I came up with what I posted. I will look at the image under magnification later and see if I see anything different.

If you compare the the pistol in his hand with the apearance of the top barrel band and bayonet of which I believe is an 1816 musket. (based on the top and middle barrel band ,and the bayonet with no locking ring.) I think this is an old musket with a heavy patina.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Here are some comparison photos. As you can see there is a blued Remington revolver, A bright original 1816 musket, and the musket from the USCT image that I feel is a patina.
                Attached Files
                Robert Johnson

Comment

Robert Johnson

Comment

Interesting. The background seems to be the same as in other photos of soldiers taken at Benton Barracks in St. Louis. Has anyone seen this background anywhere else?

Charles D. Hoskins
                    Charles D. Hoskins
                    [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
                    [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
                    Member, Company of Military Historians
                    Member, CWPT
                    Washington Historical Society
                    Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw
                      It looks like he has his accoutrements reversed. Scabbard on his right and cap pouch and box on the left.
                      Michael,

Some early photographic processes reversed the image, so he's probably wearing his accoutrements correctly. A lot of times, fellows would reverse their gear so it kinda-sorta came out right in the picture, but you can often tell from the way their jackets button or which side of the gun the lock is on that the image is reversed. In this case, look at the lock of the gun next to his "right" leg, which is actually his left. Were the image correctly oriented, the lock would be to the outside.

Cheers,

Michael
                      Michael McComas
                      drudge-errant

Comment

Good point about the gun lock. I considered the mirror image thing but couldn't spot anything that made stood out to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
                        Michael Comer
                        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                        X