4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
      6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
      21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
      5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
      Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Re: Defarbing an Enfield....

Comparing the photos to my defarbed Enfield (from Watts)...You are off to a good start. Here is what I noticed:

1. Do you plan stock shaping, or are you leaving that part as is? Wrist diameter, lock mortise, etc.
        2. I would suggest an original snap cap or better quality repro vs the one on there, but the tear drop chain looks good.
        3. Screw heads always go to the back side on an Enfield P53, so turn the rear swivel and barrel bands around.
        4. Obviously the lock plate work and barrel proof marks still pend. Are you going to have them stamped?
        Watts has a stamping machine he uses, I think. He did the barrel stamps, my lock is an original that was built
        from parts so it has a larger hammer. If you can find a hammer in good condition, those really finish it off nicely.
        Otherwise, it looks good to my eye.
        Last edited by ; 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stri volunteer View Post
          4. Obviously the lock plate work and barrel proof marks still pend. Are you going to have them stamped?
          Thanks for the points, Hunter. Yes, the plan is to send it off eventually to Todd for the barrel and lock defarb and better stock shaping, as that is above my skill range. I did as much re-shaping as I could but just don't have the skill yet to really get after it. And yes the "cheap lead" snap cap. Actually I bought it just for the chain. I have a better cap on order from BR, but it has not come in yet.

Where did you find your original hammer?

Thanks.
          R
          Rich Libicer
          Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
          Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

BTW - that "cheap lead nipple protector" is not correct as you know for issued Enfields, however those were used in variations on other guns and in all liklihood some ended up on Enfields. It protectes the nipple from damage from dry-fire practice but also just from damage while in routine carry/dropping. The "better one" that is sold at lockade Runner is a very good copy in style of the original Enfield iron protectors except for a rather important difference to the purist - it is made of aluminum or zinc so it is quite shiny. It has a single leather pad glued to it and these do pop off easily. The leather s not necessary since the recessed hammer nose will not contact the nipple while the protector is on, but if you really want that thick soft leather you will need to add slices to what comes on it and I suggest you knick it some so glue has more to bite on the protector or you will find its leather pad missing in short order. BRi has got the idea right of trying to copy the actual device, but has not gotten it in iron yet. It'd be a pretty costly venture to make the forging die to make the part in iron and would have a limited market, so I doubt we will see iron repros anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Libicer View Post
              Thanks for the points, Hunter. Yes, the plan is to send it off eventually to Todd for the barrel and lock defarb and better stock shaping, as that is above my skill range. I did as much re-shaping as I could but just don't have the skill yet to really get after it. And yes the "cheap lead" snap cap. Actually I bought it just for the chain. I have a better cap on order from BR, but it has not come in yet.

Where did you find your original hammer?

Thanks.
              R
              Mine came attached to the tumbler in the original lock assembly. Lodgewood Mfg sells the Enfield
              hammers separately, I believe. A bit pricey but worth it. Could require some fitting, too.

Orchard Hill used to sell a good looking iron "snap cap" for around $40, but they are sadly
              not in business any longer. Originals pop up from time to time on ebay, though. Nice finishing touch.
              Todd is right about the BRI snap cap, it is pewter or something. You can dip it in tea to take the
              shine off the metal but whatever glue they use for the leather pad does not hold it in place. Mine
              is also an original part. Any original parts you can fit to your reproduction will improve its appearance.

Consider having the barrel blued when Todd does the stamps. A lot less work to maintain.
              Last edited by ; 05-24-2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Well I finally got most of the work done on this Enfield. The exception would be the barrel stamps and stock cartouche, as I do not have access to any of that kind of equipment. Maybe one day I can get that done. I am ordering a lockplate and thicker, original hammer from Lodgewood so we'll see how that works out. Also, I still need to find a quality snap cap for it.

I decided to go struck bright for the whole RM, however I timed my acid baths to give the metal more of a patina and less of an armory bright band-box look. That way, it would have the appearance of a "field-used" but well cared-for weapon, as I'm sure would have been seen in the ranks on campaign.

The one thing I did here was to go to a bit of an extreme for the stock finish. Though I liked the original egg-shell BLO finish, it just was not dark enough for me. While at Chickamauga I saw an original 1862 in the Fuller Collection that caught my eye. Very very dark stock. It looked tarred to me, but smoothly and appealingly done. And then I came across Herr Schmidt's original 1863 posted for sale and, well, if you've seen it you'll probably recognize this one.

This meets my standards for a lovely dark stock, very well protected from the weather. The application also gives the stock a bit of a distressed, used look. Not abused, but a little worn. That was completely unanticipated, but appealing. At least to me. All I can say is the finish has some pine tar, thinned with a little turpentine and BLO.

Anyway, there it is.
                Last edited by Archie R. Lib; 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM.
                Rich Libicer
                Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
                Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Todd thanks for all the info and all the great work you do.
                  Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
                  The Company of Military Historians
                  Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Working...
                  X