Trans-Mississippi Haversack Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans-Mississippi Haversack Question

Im making my self a new haversack and I began to wonder. What would be more accurate out west of the Mississippi a Tarred Haversack or Civilian?

Tim Campbell

Re: Trans-Mississippi Haversack Question

Well,

That's not too broad of a question :wink_smil , but I will take a stab at it anyway. Not sure what a "civilian" haversack would be so I will not comment upon that but I was wondering at least initially just what type of soldier and in what time frame are we talking about here? For example, are you portraying a Federal soldier in the Port Hudson campaign or are you portraying a Confederate during the Red River campaign. If you are going as Confederate perhaps there is a local NPS site or museum/local historical society that may have an original example that one could copy. Existing styles of Confederate haversacks can sometimes seem to be as numerous as stars in the sky but, for the most part, they are all made from plain cotton material (i.e. drill or a heavy shirting material). If you are portraying Federal then obviously a Federal tarred haversack would be in order. But bottom line here is what I would recommend is that you take some time, do some research on what you wish to portray, look at original examples if possible, and find the appropriate haversack that fills your needs. Take care.
    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Jim,

Hummm? The civilian haversack thing is interesting. A young member of Cleburne's was writing a research paper a few years back and during his research he found an ad from a clothing store dated to the late 1850s. One of the things listed was a "civilian haversack." I remember he and I talking about it, but drawing no conclusions. No description, no picture, just the title and a price.

It may be worth trying to dig up. Hadn't given it a second thought until I read this post.
      PATRICK CRADDOCK
      Prometheus No. 851
      Franklin, Tennessee
      Widows' Sons Mess
      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Tim,

Unfortunately, original items from the "forgotten theatre" are very hard to come by....I would suggest using period correct and specific materials, like osnaburg, cotton duck, or perhaps even undyed cotton jean for your haversack. The penitentiary at Huntsville was producing millions of yards of the stuff (osnaburg and cotton jean) and these materials should be approrpriate from 1861-on. As for a pattern, I would suggest buying, borrowing or stealing a copy of Morgan Wolfe Merrick's From Desert to Bayou, as it contains detailed sketches of Trans-Miss troops from the New Mexico campagin to the Louisiana overland campaign of 1863. In it, there is a sketch of men from the Arizona Brigade attacking a federal outpost at Thibodeaux Louisiana...a large sheild front haversack can be seen in the sketch, as well as other accouterments. I would also suggest consulting photographic works such as Portraits of Conflict (Texas & Louisiana volumes, specifically). If I remember correctly, the Texas volume contains a photo of a Federal officer while imprisioned at Camp Ford in Tyler and he's wearing a "light colored" cotton haversack....perhaps of local manufacture?

Please e-mail or PM me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Comment

Tim,

Take care of your primary impression first (Federal infantry) with a tarred canvas haversack. After that you can go with a "locally" manufactured haversack.

(Uncle) Phil Campbell
          Phil Campbell

Comment

Well if your a New England Troop serving with Banks or Butller in the Trans-Mississippi prehaps one of the cotton haversacks with the blue stripe? If rebel prehaps cotton ticking with a button closure?
            Dusty Lind
            Running Discharge Mess
            Texas Rifles
            BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

If you are portraying US Regular, California, New Mexico, or Colorado troops, the standard US haversack is the way to go.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
              X