Steamship Arabia bully as advertised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamship Arabia bully as advertised

Thanks for recommending a visit to the Steamship Arabia (hit a submerged log near Kansas City in 1856). Was very interesting, indeed.

Highlights -- collection of eyeglasses and frames, most golden in color, many with adjustable sliding temples; a personal tin cup that had a concentric "rib" for strength or style; trade beads from Italy that were meant for Natives; footwear and clothes; tools, tools, tools; and two Sharps carbines on display that were part of 100 meant for arming those with abolitionist leanings on the Missouri/Kansas border but stolen while the Arabia was docked at Lexington, Mo. Serial numbers later matched those guns from that ill-fated shipment (I think they were in crates marked as something else, so somebody was in on the ruse as they were apparently all that was appropriated). Have to wonder what mischief those stolen weapons were a part of during the Border War and maybe during the 1860s.

Those heading south or east to Wilson('s) Creek this August, shouldn't miss this time capsule from our period of interest. You won't be disappointed.

Paul Hadley
    Lincoln, Neb.
    Paul Hadley

Re: Steamship Arabia bully as advertised

Best part of Kansas City in my opinion. It is truly astonishing what all they have there. It is a wealth of knowledge that you will not find anywhere else. I think the most amazing thing they had on display was the Border Ruffian shirt with a distinctive red heart right in the middle.
    Dan Stilley
    Tater Mess/ Holmes Brigade
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]Proud descendant of Elijah and Nathan Mosher- 3rd Iowa Volunteer Infantry
    Henry Hollenbeck- 11th Kansas Cavalry Co. B
    Greenberry Kelly- 2nd Iowa Infantry
    John Riley Stilley- 128th Illinois Infantry
    Thomas Freeborn-72nd Illinois Infantry Co. I[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FF0000"]Killed at Franklin, Tennessee[/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Steamship Arabia bully as advertised

Imagine burying a Sears store for 150 years. That's pretty much what happened as it was fully loaded with necessities and luxuries for sale and trade up the river. They are constantly adding stuff as the restoration process continues. One heck of a time capsule for certain, and a great resource as to what was available in 1856.
      Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
      9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
      On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X