Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new website on the CW soldier, his uniform and equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new website on the CW soldier, his uniform and equipment.

Jim,

Thank you for sharing the information with us. I've spent almost all morning looking through the site. I especially enjoyed the information on Davis's Brigade.
    Bryan Guerrisi
    42nd Mississippi Company F

Comment

Thanks Eric and Mia.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I've added the only four brigade reports I have for the Army of Tennessee, all from August 1864 and including the Orphan Brigade. I am planning to investigate whether there are more. On the bright side, all four reports feature excellent inspector comments.

You can find these reports under the heading "Hardee's Corps" on the Inspection Report main page.

Jim Schruefer
      Staunton, VA
      [url]www.blueandgraymarching.com[/url]

Comment

Outstanding website Jim! ! ! Truly a labor of love! The AOT Brigade reports were quite informative and I look forward to your future updates.
        Adam Dintenfass

Comment

I've made another small addition to the site, a brief article entitled "Dear Richmond Depot, Please Make Plus-Sized Clothing for Our Giant Soldiers". Next I'll be working to add the remaining ANV inspection reports, before turning my attention to a major Union article.

Thanks for reading.
          Jim Schruefer
          Staunton, VA

Comment

Can anyone tell me more about the 1st CS Battalion? In their Brigade they had listed 35 Sharps Rifles. I had never heard of any Confederate Regular regiments.
            Thanks
            Jonathan Bachmann

The Jefferson Guards

Comment

Very informative thank you.
              [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Roy N. Maddox[/FONT]

Comment

Good evening, fellows. Bumping this thread to give a heads-up that I've uploaded three more divisions of inspection reports to my website, www.blueandgraymarching.com. These being Hoke's and Johnson's Divisions of Anderson's Corps, and Wharton's Division, the nucleus of the Army of the Valley. Pay special attention to the remarks of the brigade and division level inspections of Wharton's Division. Great remarks in there.
                Jim Schruefer
                Staunton, VA

Comment

Jim,

good stuff.

going to start a new tangent thread with some stuff pulled from your site.
                  Last edited by FloridaConscript; 10-10-2011, 05:59 AM.
                  Bryant Roberts
                  Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                  palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Jim,
                    good stuff there! Obvious a lot of work went into it.

I was reading the section about "please make plus sized clothing for our giant soldiers!" I just wanted to tell you that I am 6 ft tall and have 35 inch inseam. I would have to disagree w/your statement about 32 in inseam is an average size for a 6 ft tall person. I would think 34 inches would be more a norm or average for a 6 ft tall person. How often have you (or your tailor) had to hem up your pants over your life time? my observations are pants are more readily available in 34 inch inseams than 32 inches. In fact my Wrangler jeans model 13mwzpw (PW are pre washed) are sized 34W x 36L. I have to look hard to find the longer pants where as there are a plethora of 34 x 34 and shorter pants.
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

We're all built a little differently, Michael, but I am exactly 6 feet tall and wear a 32W x 32L pant, which is what I went by in my article. I've never found 32" inseams to be uncommon off the rack.
                      Jim Schruefer
                      Staunton, VA

Comment

I found the inspectors comments on Nov 28 for Forsbergs Brigade, Whartons Div, very satirical. Also, interesting notations about bayonets in Heths Division. The fact the soldiers damaged the sockets so they could not be fitted was interesting. Also another notation on bayonets that the Enfield bayonets were too long for the scabbards. This is a treasure trove of information, you are to be commended for your diligent efforts.
                        Bob Manzo
                        Formerly of the 12th VA Inf Co G "Richmond Grays"

Comment

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Those interested can check out a new addition to my site, an article on CS ordnance returns. Each quarter regiments were required to submit a report of all guns, accoutrements and equipments issued during the last three months and what they had on hand. By looking at the number of items carried over from the last quarter, and the number of items on hand on the final day of the quarter, you get two dated snapshots of the exact arms and equipment of the regiment, three months apart, down to the last bayonet and canteen. You can see, for example, exactly what the 23rd NC of Iverson's Brigade looked like at Gettysburg (since 3rd quarter 1863 starts on July 1st) at least as far as guns and gear are concerned. You'll find quite a bit of variation in the level of equipment between regiments, and big changes within regiments as issues eliminate deficiencies.

I have many more than the six I've posted (3 ANV, 3 AoT) and will try to work some of that info into future updates.
                          Jim Schruefer
                          Staunton, VA

Comment

Excellent website. I did spend quite a bit of time on it and now use it as a refrence of questions I have. That did inspire me to finally launch my own website for reenactors in California far from the hobby but that reenact California units so if anybody would like to check that out go ahead. Still working on it. But yes a very cool website. It also sparked an even bigger interest in the picture of the three Confederates at Gettysburg. Thank you so much for it!

Comment

It sounds like you spent a good deal time researching the articles. Good for you, and thank you for the articles.
                              Philip D. Brening
                              Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                              3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Warren, I would also be highly interested in Western Federal information, specifically targeting both the 29th and the 99th IL INF...
                                C. Scott Brown
                                Co M 1st MO Light Artillery Turner Brigade
                                Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614 Dept. of MO
                                Chaplain, SUVCW Dept. of MO
                                Treasurer, S. Central MO Civil War Round Table
                                Civil War Trust Member

[B]In honor of my paternal Great-grandfather, Pvt. Francis Marion Brown, Co. D, 29th IL Inf[/B] &
                                [B]my maternal Great great-grandfather, Pvt. James Madison Hendrickson, along with brothers Pvt. Thomas Jefferson Hendrickson and Pvt. Solomon Hendrickson, all of Co. G, 99th IL Inf[/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X