Straight Razors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Razors

Carrying and using this is something I'd like to do with my impression. I did find one thread on the subject, but it is seven years old.
    So, apart from that thread from '04, is there anything more to add? Anyone out there using one in the field? What about hollow ground blades versus not?
    Hey, maybe if I can get good enough with one, I can secure a really pogue staff position with a battalion as a period barber!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Straight Razors

Before spending lots of money on this I would get a good one but don't break the bank right away. Use it at home for awhile to see if it is something you still want to do. Using one is not something that can easily be just done at an event. It takes lots of practice and your skin/hair needs to get used to it. It is work to get this into your impression, more so then one would think up front. It is also even more of a pain at an event as you are using cold water or having to heat water. There also is no aftershave to sooth unless you carry some bay rum. Which will inevitably leak all over everything! At least the attempt will make appreciate why men had beards and love the invnetion of the safty razor.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. I've been using old fashioned shaving soap and a boar bristle brush for a few years now, which has made me see just what horrible trash modern shaving cream is. (FWIW guys, you will never get a smoother, irritation free shave than by using this stuff. Try it, you'll like it.) I only use hot water to wet/heat my soap brush, otherwise it's cold water all the way for me. My plan was to use it as often as possible, if not on a daily basis here before taking it to the field as well. (OK raise your hand if you are one of those folks who spends the week before an event eating period rations in an attempt to make sure you system is "adapted"?)
      Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill

Comment

Warren,
        I too am a shaved man by the REAL stuff. Now most folks know me to be a bearded fellow but when I do shave its with boars bristle, natural liniments, and straight razor. I too would enjoy a good shave in the field, maybe we can try it at Shiloh!

Jeremy you are correct, its not something you can just jump into. It is suggested after 100 shaves you might be good at it.
        Kaelin R. Vernon
        SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Ditto what is said above. Practice, practice, practice at home first BEFORE the field.
          Here's a useful link:

You'll find that using a straight razor as opposed to the quick disposable ones of today to be superior as to closeness, good for your skin plus soothing. And just like food and coffee tastes better outside cooked over a campfire - you'll find a straight razor shave in the field to one helluva an experience.
          James Ross

Comment

Thanks pards. In fact, my goal is to practice this and hopefully to be good enough by Shiloh, although I think the south Union event would lend itself to this very will IMHO.

PS: Great link James. Danke sehr!
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

I am learning this art of shave currently. I haven't found much info on period straight razors (SR) out there. I'm fairly certian hollow ground razors were popular post war but existed prior to the ACW and a full wedge or nearly full wedge with a shorter tang would be the most correct design w/bone, ivory, mother of pearl, tortiose shell or wood scales.

There is an example on a SR shave kit in the Union EOG and a shaving mirror ID'd to a 55th Mass soldier in this thread:
              http://http://www.authentic-campaign...088#post206088
              Last edited by Prodical Reb; 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM.
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Michael, I have thought about this for a while, but an article in a magazine about a man who is reproducing 18th c. "wedge" bladed straight razors got me to thinking more about it.
                Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Warren,

I started shaving with a straight razor the first of April and took it to the field at Selma the end of April. I shave this way at home to help keep up the practice. I went thru eBay a found a couple of razors with black celuliod handles from the 1870's. I went to my local barbor shop where he help me find a strop and hone. I use them at home and sharpen the blades at home before the event. I have used hot and cold water it really doesn't both me one way or the other. The biggest thing is keeping the blades sharp. If you keep the shaving movement perpendicular to the balde you should not cut your self. If you slide with the blade lookout. So far I have only nicked myself a couple of times. I also found a nice sliver shaving cup that I carry with my officers impression. The hardest problem is shaving my right side as I am left handed but it works just need more practice. I will be carrying my razors with me to Bull Run in a couple of weeks.

My two cents.
                  Jim Busby
                  Walton Guards
                  Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
                  Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
                  Co C 3rd US Inf
                  www.waltonguards.org

Comment

Jim, thanks for the benefit of your experience. My old TC/platoon sgt. taught me my hot/cold water routine, and it is what works for me and my sensitive skin. :o
                    Last edited by crabby; 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM. Reason: Gentlemen, please keep the discussion to CW era. What was done or said in WWII has no place here. Thank you.
                    Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

To get a close shave I shave with the grain on the first run then relather and shave against the grain.
                      Jim Busby
                      Walton Guards
                      Co D 1st FL Inf Reg
                      Co D 7th VT Inf Reg
                      Co C 3rd US Inf
                      www.waltonguards.org

Comment

I was lucky enough to find a genuian period straight razor that I have used at events. It truly does take practice and most of all, you have to know how to sharpen it ...not just stroping. It also take a bit of special care to mantain the edge. I don't think I am qualified enough to tell how the sharpen a razor,but I have fumbled along ok so far . Keep the razor day as the fine edge can dull by oxidation. strop it well to straighten the fine "wire" edge that is the "razor sharp" edge you want, and shave with the grain og the hairs. Just my thoughts , and trying to help. Good luck plm
                        Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

As I am also trying to add this skill to my impression, a heplful place I have found is a straight razor forum called Straight Razor Place.

Andrew Atkins
                          Company E
                          3rd Conf Inf Reg't

Comment

When I looked into using a straight razor, my barber advised me to practice on a balloon before I ever set the razor's edge to my face. If you can shave a balloon without popping it, then you should be able to shave without cutting yourself.
                            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

In years past I used a period straight razor. I found most important was a REALLY good sharpening technique. I never got that part down particularly successfully. Having a Vietnanese barber out in the boonies shave ones neck with one was a real exercise in trust. Have you ever noticed nobody getting a shave in western movies ever seems to have the job completed? And, by the way, I've a little WW I shaving kit containing a "modern' safety reazor, double-edge blades, and, unexpectedly, a tiny strop to sharpen what even then must have been considered disposable.
                              David Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X