How to rawhide a saddle tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to rawhide a saddle tree?

With all of the people involved in the old trades on this board I figure someone has to know how to rawhide a saddle tree and I am wanting to learn. I've learned how to sew cloth,my least favorite, and natural dye cloth,not near as good as Mrs. Lawson and the other ladies on this forum, and I've learned how to sew leather,just your basic straight lines,I'm going to teach myself how to make a box this winter. Now I want to learn the trade of covering a saddle tree.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it very much. I think I know the very basics,like the difference between natural and bleached rawhide.I know it goes on wet and you have to have it as tight as a snare drum when finished.It's just all the stuff in the middle I don't know.

Thanks in advance,
    Tommy Jackson

Re: How to rawhide a saddle tree?

Tommy,
    This is indeed the final yet missing piece to the tree making puzzle. It seems as though this ancient art is nearly dead as several I know have searched but as of yet have come up empty handed.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks for the reply. I figured my request would come up empty, but we'll figure it out somehow. My next step is trying to talk to some of the western saddle makers that still cover their trees with rawhide and see what I come up with. I am also going to try and talk to some folks here at UGA and see if they know of anyone that can help out. I hope this art form isn't dead, just taking a rest somewhere and none of us know where to find it.

Thanks again,
      Tommy Jackson
      Last edited by woolhat1864; 07-09-2011, 01:42 PM. Reason: spellin'

Comment

Tommy,

Great to hear that you are wanting to learn this. As Dave said, it seems to be the missing piece of much of the tree discussion. I know there are those out there doing it yet, but the numbers are dwindling and I just hope that there are some on the forums that can help you with this.

Good luck.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Tommy,

Take a look at leatherworker.net They have a section on saddles and tack. This may give you the info that you need.

Bill Thomas
          Driver
          Lazarus Battery

Comment

Originally posted by woolhat1864 View Post
            I figure someone has to know how to rawhide a saddle tree and I am wanting to learn... Now I want to learn the trade of covering a saddle tree.
            Tommy,
            Step by step photos of saddle tree construction include the rawhide application seen here: http://www.freckerssaddlery.com/saddle_tree.php . Whilst not a photo tutorial, you may find the images of interest.

Google search for saddle makers that build trees using rawhide & contact them about an apprentice opportunity.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Regards,
            [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
            [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
            16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
            22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
            &
            [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
            4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

It's true, leatherworker.net is a very good resource. In addition to the frekkers saddlery page, I recommend tree makers Rod & Denise Nikkel in Canada. They have generously shared much information online, including this link: http://www.rodnikkel.com/content/ind...a-saddle-tree/

In addition, I hope to make a video of my amateur attempt to rawhide two hand made Hawaiian saddle trees. My deadline for this project is December. It will go on my YouTube channel: MauiFarrier, as well as my website: www.mauifriesian.com

I hope this is helpful to you folks who are as curious about the process as I am. My involvement in historical items centers around Hawaiian Saddles and Paniolo heritage.

Aloha,
              Gretchen Cardoso

Comment

YouTube video is finished.
                I hope this is helpful, at least as a starting place.
                How to cover a Western Type Saddle Tree with Rawhide. The beginning part of a series of videos I will be producing on the subject of Restoring Hawaiian Sadd...

Aloha,
                Gretchen

Comment

Hi Tommy,

I used to build western saddles. I can give you a quick outlook on what it would take to rawhide wrap a tree.
                  4 oz rawhide ( it actually varies depending)
                  soak it in the bath tub in luke warm water till the rawhide turns into a wet noodle.
                  then throw it into a plastic trash bag air tight and let it set for 24 hours.
                  you will need a needle and rawhide thread, the seams are over under stitch basically, ending the stitch with a double knot, not stitching tight because the rawhide will shrink.

First however you will need to make patterns of your tree to cut out in rawhide.
                  Now there is the trick, cutting the rawhide out in a pattern that will leave the very least stitching, because each stitch seam weakens the rawhide wrap as a system,, in turn weakening the tree.

Sounds easy, and isn't real hard, its just a matter of hands on experience to get the feel and know how, thats all.

Kelly Austin
                  Kelly Maitland

Comment

Working...
                  X