Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missouri State Guard colored arm patches Wilsons Creek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri State Guard colored arm patches Wilsons Creek.

Here are some notes on patches and sashes used by the MSG and the other forces serving under Ben McCulloch at Wilsons Creek in August of 1861. Research here shows some kind of mark or field sign was desired by the Missouri State Guard and Confederate forces serving in the Southwest. Having an Army with few uniformed men, the majority in civilian clothes, I can understand how a mark of military service to distinquish soldiers from civilians was needed. Will put more on later

Tom Arliskas
    CSuniforms

I also put up for viewing an Arkansas soldier wearing a patch on his arm. I dont have the ID or even where I got this one but thought it was appropriate to the text. Some might say he is simply patching his jacket, but the size and the diamond shape so high on his sleeve I believe it to be a military mark or field sign.

These are some notes on the bits of cloth or ribbons worn by Missouri State Guard Troops that searched under General Sterling Price and Ben McCulloch at Wilsons Creek. The first is the often quoted description of MSG troops from the book THE FIGHT FOR MISSOURI by Thomas Snead written in 1886. P. 238

“In all their motley array there was hardly a uniform to be seen, and then, and throughout all the brilliant campaign on which they were about to enter there was nothing to distinguish their officers, even a General, from the men in the ranks, save a bit of red flannel, or a piece of cotton cloth fashioned to the shoulder, or to the arm of the former.”

This one is from a memoir of a Private Peter D. Lane who served in the MSG and later the 16th Missouri Infantry CSA and was written in 1865, making his account a period one. P.10

“We had not been long encamped [Cowskin Prairie] when it was found to appoint a number of Provost Guards…to arrest all soldiers found committing depravations of any kind. These guards wore a red rib band around their shoulders as a token of their office.”

A good find is from the Rock Island Register newspaper issue dated September 11th 1861. This is an account written right after Wilsons Creek and days before the Siege of Lexington, Missouri which
    occurred from September 13-20, 1861.

“HOW THE REBELS ARE UNIFORMED” The uniform of the Confederate Army as Lady Montague would say, is multiform. Those who draw their conception of the appearance of rebel soldiery from pictures in Harpers Weekly would hardly recognize them on sight. They are not uniformed at all, and generally speaking, it is impossible to distinguish a Colonel from a Private. The only mark of distinction about them is a piece of flannel stitched to the right shoulder. I was told white flannel was the distinguishing mark of the Missouri troops, yellow that of Arkansas, red that of Louisiana, and so on. Of course, this only applies to the Southwest.”

I have an account of Confederate Cavalry at Wilsons Creek wearing arm bands from a contemporary newspaper which I have to look for.

Another is from Kip Lindberg that appeared on Authentic Campaigner in 2008 and is from the Chicago Tribune of March 18, 1862-before the retreat south by Price and Pea Ridge.

“About four hundred of Prices Missourians sick were left in the Court House [in Springfield] in two churches and in a large hotel. A green or red stripe sewn on their sleeves [the mark of the beast] was the only indication of uniform about them. Otherwise they were the same miscellaneous copper-bottoms as all of Prices’ hordes of beggars coming to town.”

There are also references to the 3rd Louisiana wearing armbands at Wilsons Creek, but I have yet found no general orders for troops to sew on patches. Did the MSG wear armbands at Wilsons Creek? Yes they did, but how many and for how long needs research. It would be a distinctive piece to sew on your clothing. I would do it.
    Attached Files
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Missouri State Guard colored arm patches Wilsons Creek.

Hello Tom,

The image is mine- I posted it on the AC several years ago. Unfortunately, there is no identification to it.

V/R,
    kip
    Kip Lindberg

Comment

" . . . When a unit wearing grey uniforms approached perpendicular to his left flank, he assumed that it was Sigel's men breaking through the Southerners' rear. Actually, it was Clarkson's Fith Missouri, apparently sent by Weightman to counterattack. Clarkson, in turn, took for granted that the blue-coated Kansans were fellow members of the Missouri State Guard. When he asked Clayton the direction of the enemy, the Federal captain pointed south-west. The two opposing units then formed a single line and blithely marched off in that direction. They had not gone far before Clayton noticed that each of the grey-clad men wore a red flannel badge on his left shoulder, a distinction not used by any of the Union troops . . ."
      Page 243-244 Wilson's Creek (authors William Garrett Piston and Richard W. Hatcher III)

All the best,

Andrew
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by MissouriStateGuard View Post
        Hello Tom,

The image is mine- I posted it on the AC several years ago. Unfortunately, there is no identification to it.

V/R,
        kip
        Hey, There you go! Do you agree that it could be a field sign or just a torn coat patch. I want to go with the field sign-- it feels that way.

Tom Arliskas
        CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

The State Historical Society of Missouri has posted online the "Recollections of a Volunteer a Memoir of The Civil War by Peter D. Lane, Late Private 16th Missouri Infantry C. S. A. Honey Creek Township, Henry County Missouri ca. 1865". Here is the link:

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Great quote! Thank You for posting it--
            Tom Arliskas
            CSuniforms
            Tom Arliskas

Comment

Wow, Great stuff! I have been wondering this for months now. I think I read in Brassey's that Arkansas troops were denoted by yellow field sign. I'll have to check to see what the origin of that was tonight.
              Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
              16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
              Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Did the MSG wear armbands at Wilsons Creek? Yes they did, but how many and for how long needs research. It would be a distinctive piece to sew on your clothing. I would do it.
                In my opinion, the first part of the statement is exactly why I would not do it. Since we don't know who did and for how long and when in the campaign it should probably not be done unless proven for a particular unit at WC lest we have everyone show up in red armbands or pieces of green cloth flapping on their sleeves. There is documentation that officers were to wear red cloth on their shoulders per orders so we know that happened. Officers in the adjunct batallion have been instructed to do the same. We also know that there may have been some green here, some red here and some white there but we don't have solid info about what color with what unit and just when they had it. Unless that is known, I would discourage the wearing of armbands, strips of cloth etc.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                  In my opinion, the first part of the statement is exactly why I would not do it. Since we don't know who did and for how long and when in the campaign it should probably not be done unless proven for a particular unit at WC lest we have everyone show up in red armbands or pieces of green cloth flapping on their sleeves. There is documentation that officers were to wear red cloth on their shoulders per orders so we know that happened. Officers in the adjunct batallion have been instructed to do the same. We also know that there may have been some green here, some red here and some white there but we don't have solid info about what color with what unit and just when they had it. Unless that is known, I would discourage the wearing of armbands, strips of cloth etc.
                  I agree with your decision not to wear one unless you have specific research for your unit. I would wear them at the Siege of Lexington and in all the Skirmishes up to Pea Ridge. Will look for more.--
                  CSuniforms
                  Tom Arliskas
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

I hope you can find some more details Tom. The MSG is a real mystery in many cases when it comes to 'uniforms' and equipment. I appreciate your input on it and look forward to seeing some more.
                    Michael Comer

Comment

Here are a few more non-Missouri State Guard references, for your enjoyment:

“I tied it [his wrist] up with the piece of white rag which we had tied round our left arms to distinguish us from the enemy.”

(Third Louisiana) William Watson, Life in the Confederate Army (London: Chapman and Hall, 1887), 218.

“an orderly came down the column carrying a long sheet of white muslin, tearing off narrow strips, and handing them to the men, one of which each man was required to tie around his left arm. . . As we were not uniformed these strips were intended as a mark of the Confederate soldiers, so we might avoid killing our own men. . .”

(South Kansas-Texas Cavalry) Samuel Barron, Lone Star Defenders (Washington, D.C.: Zenger Publishing Co., 1908), 39.

“The general [McCulloch] and his aides will be distinguished by a white badge on each arm.”

(General Orders, No. 24, Western Army, August 4, 1861), Official Records, Series I, Vol. 3, p. 108.

Jeff Patrick

Comment

Double post. Sorry about that.

Jeff Patrick
                        Last edited by Phelps' Reg't; 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I think many people fail to realize that Wilson's Creek wasn't the first combat action between these two forces. There were a few run-ins as Lyon proceeded south from Springfield. McCulloch believed he would be hit by Lyon on the night of the 3rd since the two forces were only about a mile apart. He had his Confederate forces (which the Louisiana troops would have been) and perhaps some other state troops to wear white armbands to distinguish them in the dark from the enemy. I believe that the above posts are probably referring to that. Now, what I don't know is how long they may have worn those bands after that night. It is possible that many soldiers kept them on for a while but I have no idea about that.
                          Michael Comer

Comment

If we can find in the coming weeks a company-specific account of some sort of identification can we get the word out or get someone to bring what we need? (And if it was white, with the rain and conditions, prior white would not be virgin white).

Certainly don't want to make it up....but although we struggle to find the right color, it was certainly an MSG practice before and after this time. The day prior WC these boys were going to march on toward Springfield so they had something on them to distinguish as they were ready to move until the rain and things were canceled. I have no problem with an informed plausability say from Jeff, Kip, Tom or any other and going with that. I have read all the same accounts. My point is though I cannot say there was a purple, chartruse, neon or white armband, but it was a consistent practice from what I glean from cowskin until return from lexington. So, are we more right making some degree or educated approximation over doing nothing???

My intention is not to start a fight, a poll or a holier-than-thou discussion/public sacrifice-of me, but we are very confident they (MSG) used this method before and after this timeframe. So it seems we should best gather our facts if we can nail it down or maybe get some muslin and get it to varying degrees of what it would have looked like at the minimum of 24 hours in the august heat, humidty, rain, dust, mold, grease, mud and being in contact with what they were wearing (non-color fast). After a day of sweat and a night of good rain who is to say how color fast anything (but red) may have been the next day?

I don't intend to 'free a round metal box of worms", and have no set position, but wonder if we may be going too far the other direction not wearing something, based on what we do know as a practice......

Thanks....
                            Last edited by MO-Pard; 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM.
                            Jay Stevens
                            Tater Mess
                            Independent Volunteers
                            Iron Man Mess
                            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                            Lost Tribes, October 2009
                            Bummers, November 2009
                            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                            In the Van, August 2010
                            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

I can also agree with you Jay along with Michael. We need just a little more research to tie this down. I still go to work a lot so it leaves little time to research right now. I do have a quote from a St. Louis paper that says some CS cav were wearing yellow armbands at Wilsons Creek. It is buried in my MSG stuff.

Dont forget your Minute Man cockade-- Our West Side Soldiers Aid Society is making up a dozen or so of these-- just like the originals-- All we are waiting for is the printed ribbons that state, "Missouri Minute Men". Put that on your hat!

CSuniforms
                              Tom Arliskas
                              Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                              X