Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missouri State Guard colored arm patches Wilsons Creek.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missouri State Guard colored arm patches Wilsons Creek.

"The uniform of the Confederate Army [of the west] is multiform. They are not uniformed at all, and generally speaking, it is impossible to distinguish a Colonel from a private. The only mark of distinction about them, except for their arms, is a piece of flannel stitched to the left shoulder. I was told that white flannel was the distinguishing mark of the troops, yellow that of Arkansas, red that of Louisiana, and so on. Of course this only applies to the Southwest."
    Correspondent, Register of Rock Island, Illinois, Sept. 11, 1861
    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

I am sure all of this will matter more when folks are in the cool Missouri hill country come August.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Tom,
        I have some of those white bands with red diamonds for you that you were wanting for Wilson's Creek.
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

I talked to Rick Hatcher, ex-historian at WC who co-authored the latest book on the battle and Jeff Patrick, the current librarian at WC yesterday. Neither said they had found firm documentation for such ornamentation for MSG troops at WC - especially when it pertains to Burbridge's battalion which the adjunct is portraying. Jeff said that they made a concious decision not to have MSG troops wearing such things in the newest visitor center film because they could not find absolute documentation that it was there.

As this subject pertains to the adjunct effort and the batallion being formed for the 150th, I have also posted on the discussion board.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
          X